Just getting started...

Pineapple-tea
Pineapple-tea Posts: 4
edited February 2008 in MTB beginners
Hey there.

I'm very interested in getting into mountain biking, mainly the fast, downhill/ freeride stuff. I'm pretty fit (although there is always room for improvement :wink:) as I am a competitive swimmer and ride my bike lots during the week, so that's not a problem.

I'm really just wondering where to start; is it best to find a club (bearing in mind I'm only 15 and so can't go to most without adult supervision) or rope some friends into coming along too?

Thanks very much.

Comments

• what bike do you have currently...
  • Right now I have a BMX, a racing bike and a cheap supermarket mountain bike, so I will need to invest. I do have a good budget - around £700, but I will obviously take some time to try out the sport before I spending that much money.
  • I'd keep saving and in the mean time ride your cheap bike to destruction. As for starting, I'd get some friends together and go for longish jaunts through the countryside. You'll find some good runs with gravity assist and, if you find the gravity riding is what really enthuses you then you can spend on, most likely a burly hardtail.

Local clubs are also a good place to start, but you might get some funny looks on a really cheap supermarket bike, ignore those people.
  • I'd keep saving and in the mean time ride your cheap bike to destruction. As for starting, I'd get some friends together and go for longish jaunts through the countryside. You'll find some good runs with gravity assist and, if you find the gravity riding is what really enthuses you then you can spend on, most likely a burly hardtail.

Local clubs are also a good place to start, but you might get some funny looks on a really cheap supermarket bike, ignore those people.

well said.
    and where abouts do you live?
  • I live in the South West of England.

Thanks very much for the great advice, I really appreciate it. :D

I'll keep saving.
  • I live in the South West of England.
    anywhere near bristol? theres plenty of nice riding down this end, have a look around in the forums or ask for any well known areas near by. you'll be sure to find something decent.