Accommodation in France. Advice wanted

Roger Davies
Roger Davies Posts: 305
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all, in July I shall be cycling to and from Montpellier in France. I'm a bit too old for camping now but cant afford hotels. Anyone got any links for cheap alternatives. I've heard there are unattended places where you put in your credit card and get a key for the night. Thanks

RD
Old bikes are better

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Hi all, in July I shall be cycling to and from Montpellier in France. I'm a bit too old for camping now but cant afford hotels. Anyone got any links for cheap alternatives. I've heard there are unattended places where you put in your credit card and get a key for the night. Thanks

RD
    There is the F1 chain of hotels which are cheap and nasty like a travel lodge :D
    I would not go donw this route as you are going to have to make sure you go to big towns at end of ride.
    Why not plan your route and look on the internet for guest houses and B+b's in the places you wil;l end up each day?
    Personally I would not fancy putting my card in any machine like you suggest. I have recently had problems with mine after using it in France, Italy and USA !!!
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804

RD
    There is the F1 chain of hotels which are cheap and nasty like a travel lodge :D
    I checked into an F1 on my way back from Le Mans, just to get a shower. I felt cleaner before I went in! :wink:
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I had a very good experience of Etap hotels last summer. I was driving and arrived at 10:30pm. Reception closed at 10pm but the automatic check in was really simple (used a debit card); the room was clean and comfortable (better than a tent) and it was really cheap.

I am not sure what I would have done with the bike if I had been cycling (probably just carried it up to the room). Also, they do tend to be located on the outskirts of large towns (often in industrial estates) but, really, it was good value all round.

slightly more upmarket in the same bracket is Campanile.

However, most small French hotels are not expensive (especially if you take in an evening meal). MUCH cheaper than the equivalent here. Worth a bit of research.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Logis de France. Small, family-run, good food ...
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    GeorgeShaw wrote:
    Logis de France. Small, family-run, good food ...
    +1
  • Thanks pneumatic for the tips. And thanks to everyone else for the links and comments. Campanile looks good.

Cheers
    RD
    Old bikes are better