Bike Pumps

tonywar
tonywar Posts: 34
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Can anybody recommend a pump that actually works on a presta valve upto 120psi. The one i have claims to do it but really only works on the schraeder valve :?

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    You need a track pump to get up that high.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Zefal HPX (frame fitting pump) will get over 100psi and won't take all day to do it either............not sure it'll get to 120psi though? Forget mini pumps for that sort of pressure...........they may be able to do it in theory, but you'll get bored pumping long before you get there!
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I kinda like the look of the ones that you put the tiny presurized gas cannisters in.. I think they do up to 80PSI only.. here is a link but probably not of much use to you.,

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A1651
    cartoon.jpg
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The Topeak Road Morph and the Cyclaire Plus will both do 120psi. The Road Morph works like a mini-track pump and the ergonomics enable high pressures to be attained fairly easily.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    I'll second the Zefal HPX, without a doubt the best frame pump on the market.

For a slightly smaller pump the Innovations Road Air works well. If you get one make sure you buy the long version, not the small. I can easily get over 100psi with one of these. The small version would probably get a decent pressure as well but when I tried it I got bored, 300 strokes put in 60 psi.

CO2 inflators work as well. http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/
  • i got up to 100psi with a blackburn frame fiting pump without too much effort. could probably get 120 out of it.
  • Thanks everybody. I called in Halfords and picked a track pump up for £20. It does the business. I bought a pump from wiggle but it's c**p. It had an adapter for the presta but it didn't work. The moral of the story could be it's sometimes better to see what your buying before you buy it? I have a micro pump, but this will be for emegency use only, putting enough air in the tyre so I don't have to walk home. Picked up a wireless computer for £16 whilst I was in Halfords also, bargain me thinks.

Safe riding everyone.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Everyone should have a track pump with a pressure gauge in the garage.................here endeth the lesson. :wink:

Took my years of riding, judging tyre pressure by feel to realise that I kept getting pinch flats because what I thought was rock hard was actually about 70psi :roll: