How does my weight affect....

willbevan
willbevan Posts: 1,241
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Hi guys,

Please excuse this might seem a stupid question..

Now i know lighter you are better for climbing as less weight to drag up...

But does weighting more have its advantages,

i.e. out ofthe saddle i presume you will generate more power up say short inclines

If there is any literature on this, or another thread, anyone please provide a link:)

Thanks

Will
Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
MTB - Trek Fuel 80
TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I rather assume that "weight" in itself not much of a clue to physical ability at any sporting endeavour. Might be 15 st and fit - or 12 st and definitely not!

In theory extra weight should benefit down-hillers, but in practice they don't seem to be obese!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Trust me.

19 stone of "weight" on the pedals does not get one up the hill quicker. Dare i say, it takes half the time or more.

However, once at the top of said hill, you drop like the proverbial stone.
    Now weight i think this is called mass.

Therefore lose weight, climb quicker and descend with the mob is my advice.

Here endeth the lesson of a 19 stone climber!!!! Not
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    I seem to recall that 5# of body weight equals about 1# of bicycle weight....(or something like that...) and a good set of hubs & wheels makes a world of difference ... (IMHO) I have some nice wheel sets, and generally can coast down as fast, generally faster, than someone who is heavier and pedaling at 80 rpm....

http://www.triathletemag.com/Department ... l_Time.htm

http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm
    Cajun
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    Its just a matter of power to weight ratios.

Thsts why I struggle so much up hills :oops: but do quite well on the flat :D

I think the best way is to start off very heavy and build your leg muscles appropriately, and then lose the weight but keeping the muscle :lol:

cheers

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    meagain wrote:
    In theory extra weight should benefit down-hillers, but in practice they don't seem to be obese!
    Surely Newton would diagree with that?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Panter wrote:
    Its just a matter of power to weight ratios.

Thsts why I struggle so much up hills :oops: but do quite well on the flat :D

I think the best way is to start off very heavy and build your leg muscles appropriately, and then lose the weight but keeping the muscle :lol:

cheers

Chris :)

That's how I believed it to be too. On the flat the main resistance is wind and weight doesn't really alter the profile of a rider much so those with more power (generally speaking, bigger people) are faster on the flat. On the hills however you're going slower so gravity is the main resistance, therefore meaning power/weight is the key.
  • Not being overly skinny is probably an advantage in poor weather (very skinny mountain climbers tend to suffer in cold/ wet weather) adn on flat TT courses, providing you have a reasonable power output. Uphill (of any description ) is where weight works against you (with the help of gravity) . Big people get up hills too of cours - it tends to take them longer tho'!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    willbevan wrote:
    Hi guys,

Please excuse this might seem a stupid question..

Now i know lighter you are better for climbing as less weight to drag up...

But does weighting more have its advantages,

i.e. out ofthe saddle i presume you will generate more power up say short inclines

No, if this was the case all the fat unfit riders would be best on steep hills!!
    :)
    If you have more weight, the power required to get you up the hill increases, it is more to do with power to weight ratio, especially on longer climbs.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    hi guys,

thanks for all the answers, reason i asked is becuase ihave some of a running backgroud, where as far asi am aware, lighter just is better....(sorry very sweeping statement)

Unlike for example,riding onthe flat,itsnot the weight, but the aeroness of somone that determines there speed(as well as there power obviouly)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    For a dramatic demonstration as to how weight affects progress uphill...

....ride tandem with the wife.......

..but those downhils.... :twisted:
  • Also bear in mind that muscle tissue is denser then fat so it weighs more. Unfortunately this is one thing doctors usually don't take into account when checking peoples BMI as that's normally a simple weight v. height calculation rather then taking into account the % of body fat someone is carrying!

I guess the question then becomes how much "baggage" i.e fat your carrying! As muscle will add weight but also aid your power. Like willbevan I come from a running background (many moons ago, used to run for my local club in the 100 and 200m sprints!) so I have fairly strong legs and good upper body strength, the upper body strength isn't really that much help when on the road bike but the legs are good for sprinting and starting to get used to the demands of climbing hills! Having said all this I'm not carrying much weight myself (5'5" and around 65kg) so the only time I really notice a difference is when I have a rather heavy backpack on!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5