Frame protectors

The Franckster
The Franckster Posts: 44
edited February 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi All,

Have just purchased two soft bikes bags for me and the Meme Sahib to get our bikes away on foreign tours etc.
What I'm after now are a couple of pairs of what I would describe as frame protectors? They're the plastic things you put in the rear drop outs and front fork drop outs after removing the wheels to protect the frame if any pressure comes on the bag from the sides.
I've heard that people use old skewers to do the job but I'm wondering if there's anything more lightweight out there on the market, purpose made for the job? Can anyone assist?

The Franckster. :?:

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Go and talk nicely to your LBS. I don't think anybody sells them, but frames come with them so it should be possible to scrounge them. Alternatively, cut a short length of plastic pipe and hold in place with a QR?

EDIT - actually Ceeway sell them, and so do SJS.
  • Thanks Andy! Briiliant bit of research. Have decided to go for the Ceeway version as you don't have to tape them in. :D
  • Don't lose too much sleep over what you use, as long as there 's something there.

I used a sawn off a nice bit of wooden dowel but lost that and now use a bit of 15*40mm wood. This also braces against and protects the gear hanger. held in place with duck tape but I suppose I could put a couple of screws in and slip them into the dropouts (it just has never really been worth it as any jolt or drop that would shift the wood out of place will probably kill the frame anyway...

TIP - get some plumbers pipe lagging for your frame and lots of zip ties. Take much more than you need so you've got fresh set of stuff for the return leg. It weighs very little and costs next to nothing (compared to your frame...).
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • Lagging, good idea, have got loads in the garage somewhere.
  • I used pipe insulation foam, I got from a Spanish plumbers store, to protect my frame and also to make the bike a little less attractive, it was freshly painted and very shiney and there had been an attempt to nick the bike hence the foam wrapped around the frame.
    Slayer of monsters and rescuer of damsels in distress.