rear light behind bags?

ThatGuyOnABike
ThatGuyOnABike Posts: 198
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
i got stuff on the back of my bike, panniers and a rack pack. where do i put the rear light? how do i put it?
In the valley of high oil prices the cyclist is king!

Comments

• I have one light on the back of my rack, one on the seatpost and one on the pannier.

Yes, I'm paranoid. :mrgreen:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Shadowduck - Me too! Better to be paranoid and not eating your lunch through a straw.

The rack pack on my bike precludes the use of the seatpost mounted rear light, however the Carradice rack pack I use, has a light loop on the rear of it.

Where poss. I stick to panniers, thereby providing a more secure mount for the second rear lamp.

Busch & Muller do some excellent pannier mounted combined lamp/reflector units.
    I use a Cateye B.S combined lamp/reflector unit, however the reflector is nowhere near as big as most.... SKS mudguards can be purchased with a built-in reflector though.
  • erm-how do you put it on the panniers? if i have a loop, what does it look like and how do i put light on it. thanks john for the catseye mount (perfect for my light), bit expensive for a peice of plastic, £1.99 i would've got it but even then i would've said it is a bit much for a peice of plastic, i may have to go for it though.
  • quick check- no loop in description of my rack pack. the ortleib travel biker. panniers have no visble loops or straps on them. two reflector panels though. i'm gonna get conned by wiggle for that mount...
  • erm-how do you put it on the panniers?
    Mine have an external net pocket (I think it's supposed to be for a bottle), I just hook the light onto that with the built-in clip. If there was no loop or anything I'd probably just sew one on, it doesn't need to be anything fancy.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Most carriers have a plate or holes tha allow you to attach a set of lights.

Otherwise seatpost is good.

I am afraid it will depend on the rack what rack are you using?
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • cunobelin: i got my rack from halfords, yeh it has all the right connection thigs for a reflector but my light has only a seat post connection and the sliding click on off thing.

hmph stuff it, don't worry i'm buying the mount along with a whole new light like that long cateye one which if i'm right would go vertically onto the mount and look quite cool.
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Ah - Just checked the Cateye site, and it looks like the BS lamp I bought is no longer sold, but available here - You'll still need to buy the pannier mount:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=&Cat=&Section=&GenCode=CATELIGH1200

This (or the LD1100, which seems much brighter over wider angles, that sits on my seatpost) came with a plastic "belt loop" that could be used to mount on the fabric loop on the back of my rack pack.
    TBH, the LD-500 looks a better option.

Agreed, a solid mount is a much better option which will more likely point in the right direction to remain road legal.

Here's the cheaper of the Busch&Muller options:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Busch-and-Muller-Busch-and-Muller-Relite-D-battery-diode-Rear-Light-4655.htm

[urlhttp://www.bumm.de/index-e.html[/url]
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    It is a legal requirement that one of your rear lamps is mounted directly on to the bike. Mounting on the rack will count as this. Any other lamps can be on clothing, panniers etc. This lamp must be on or to the off side of the centre line of the bike.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    DON'T BUY ANY BRACKETS YET!!!!!

The reason I asked is that the Cateye rear lights also come with a self tapping screw that can fix the light directly to a rack, but only if it has a "hole" to fit it to. If you ghave a reflector bracket then there is a 99.9% chance that you will not need the bracket. Yo can actually benefit - I have two TL1100s bolted on one rack.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I've fabricated aluminium sheet brackets that bolt/rivet onto the rear mudguard in the past. I used to use a quick release bracket for a Carradice Camper Longflap saddle bag which used a piece of 25mm dowel to which I attached a second rear light. Also, most aluminium pannier frames have brackets attached which seem to have the right holes for LED rear lights.

I have several commercial light alloy light brackets I've collected over the years. I assume they, or their equivalents, are still sold.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster