which touring folder?

baldbee
baldbee Posts: 5
edited February 2008 in Tour & expedition
I'm trying to decide on a folder for touring. Its first trip will include Scotland, England and France. It's a long time since I did any touring, but it seems to me that it will be much easier to return home on public transport if I have a folder. Any thoughts and suggestions?

Top of my list today are; Dahon Cadenza (26 inch wheels but will need more suitable gearing) and then the more expensive and smaller wheeled seperable Moulton TSR27 and the Bike Friday New World Tourist. What do you think of these?

Thanks
Titus

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Consider adding the Airnimal Joey as well?

Folds smaller then the above.

JoeySportMain.jpg

JoeyBagOpen.gif
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Babbsy
    Babbsy Posts: 197
    baldbee wrote:
    it seems to me that it will be much easier to return home on public transport if I have a folder.

I would say that it is marginal with something like the dahon cadenza, which essentially just folds in half. I use a cadenza for my commute (cycle/train), because it folds I am allowed to take it on the train during peak hours. The actual space it takes up is a only a bit smaller.

Comfort wise the cadenza is adequate for my 15 mile each way trip. I have fitted mudguards and a rack, on which I use a small pannier for lunch and work clothes. It is a compromise for the train accessibility, not sure I would want to use it regularly for longer distances or be fully loaded for touring (max loaded weight is 105kg.

Gearing. Mine came with a wide 11-32T 8 speed cassette and a compact chainset 50T and 39T chainrings (why 39 I don't know!) This is more than adequate for my flat commute. If I needed lower gearing I would replace the 39 chainring with a 34 or 36.
    <font><font>I know that you believe that you understand what you think I said but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.</font></font>
  • KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    If money is no object and you have lightweight touring in mind (ie wih only a saddle bag +/- a bar bag) then a demountable steel bike by Ritchey is the closest thing to a performance fast road bike which is packable into a suitcase. They are available in the UK but I don't know where and C+ had a good review of them not too long ago.
    See http://www.ritcheylogic.com/web/Ritchey ... 25152.html
    Otherwise I would recommend an Airnimal, either the Joey or the more expensive Chameleon. I have a friend with a Bike Friday and it's a good and practical looking bike too.
  • raybo
    raybo Posts: 87
    Check out bikesthatfold.com

Ray