Creaking & clattering chain.....

steerpike
steerpike Posts: 424
edited February 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi, bought a Saracen Vortex off the shelf recently. I've noticed that the chain really rattles and I get clattering noises when in any gear over about 7 (of 24).

Also, I (perhaps foolishly) took it on a beach recently and it now seems to rattle and clatter in any gear.

Can anyone tell me the likely cause and solution (beginner friendly!)

Also, which of these lubes would be recommended to cover me as a beginner for all parts of the bike:--

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductSearchAd ... &cat=cycle

Thanks

Comments

• Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    1) clean the chain and drive train.

2) check that the chain is not too long.

3) make sure that the gears are adjusted. You will get clatter if the indexed gears are out of adjustment. Happens most often a new bike as the cables stretch.

I am unsure what you mean by 7 of 24 but it sounds like you are in the small chainring second smallest sprocket - a no no. Gearing on a bike is not sequential there are massive overlaps. PErhaps 12 'different' gears out of the 24. Avoid riding big/big (drive train strectched) and little/little (chain may clatter - deraileur may not take up the slack. Also avoid middle chainring to the largest and smallest cogs as arule. All these gears have a bad allignment and cause chain/ drivetrain wear at an accellerated rate.

As a rule (simplistic) Iride in the first 5 gears on the granny ring, middle 5 gears on the middle ring and the high 5 gears on the large ring. This should avoid bad chain lines and allow the gears to operate at their best.

Remember that there still may be some overlap in gearing when doing this.