Legbreaker 100 mile route....

MarcB
MarcB Posts: 46
Due to a landslide we have had to reroute a small portion of the Legbreaker but we have kept the distance and climbing the same :D

While we had the routing software out we had a look into a 100 mile route.

The good news - logistically it's quite easy, looping back to the 2nd feed station and picking up the finish of the short route.

The bad news - you have to ride past the HQ :evil: and you will have climbed 3800+ m in 162km or 12,500ft in 100m.

To ensure that entrants don't over reach themselves we are considering restricting this option to riders who have completed the Legbreaker before in a suitable time (not sure what yet) or a suitably tough event in a good time.

To help with this does anyone have any comparisons they would be willing to post e.g. their time for the Legbreaker 80miles vs a 100ish mile event with tough climbs, with similar form and conditions?
We can then work out a qualifying time, this isn't to turn the Legbreaker into a race, but as responsible organisers feel this is the best option.

So to summarise 100miles, 3800m climbing, three feed stations plus two extra water stations if it's a hot day, and the same entry fee as the standard event £22.50, and you can turn of at HQ if you don't feel up to it.

Any thoughts, ideas or feedback?

Oh and we haven't thought of a name for it yet :oops:

Comments

• vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I'm pleased it's going to be ever tougher than last year, and it was pretty darned tough last year. But I'm hoping to get a mate to do it, a Legbreaker virgin. He's done the Fred, Etape du Dales, Marmotte among others several times. Would that kind of track record be allowed for entry?
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think you should just inform the riders just what they are signing up for, and if they enter and they can't finish then they have been kidding themselves on. Lets face it we are all big boys and girls, I'm doing the Fred,WRC, Dave Lloyd Mega, Devil Ride...all exceptionally difficult runs...but I know the required effort that is required so I'll train accordingly. I know the Legbreaker is one tough cookie but no way will it be any tougher than these ones i've entered...so I think you should let all riders know upfront the task required,the terrain,the gradients,hill repetitive etc, and let them make up there own decision to enter or not.

Even Dave Lloyds Mega Challenge isnt filtering entrants and THATS gonna be the toughest sportive this island has ever witnessed....142 miles/5000 meters climbing.

Anyone entering these events nowadays after the sportif explosion should know exactly what to expect.

Let them enter marc and see them suffer
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Let them enter marc and see them suffer
    +1
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • MarcB
    MarcB Posts: 46
    OK, if you want it we have it - the 100 mile route is now live and you can enter online at www.legbreaker.co.uk.
    You can also download the new route and gpx files.

There are now three tough routes
    • 164km/102m - 3784m climbing
    • 130km/80m - 3050m climbing
    • 72km/45m - 1638m climbing

The 102 mile route follows the original Legbreaker Challenge route back to the HQ gates :D and you can then choose to carry on with the Super Challenge.Riders won't be able to start the Super Challenge route after 3.00 pm,allowing between 5 - 7 hours to complete the standard Legbreaker depending on your start time 8am - 10am.

Anyone who has already entered will automatically have the option of riding the Super Challenge :D