First Puncture!

Rich Hcp
Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Well, I supposed it was going to happen in the end.

They are the standard tyres on my 2007 Allez Sport (Mondos?)

A stone worked it's way through the rear tyre and pierced the tube :?

On the front you notice before it really does damaged, but on the rear you can't see it.

I was more or less outside the house when it went down, so the rim is fine, but I'll replace the tube and tyre.

I was wondering whether to go for the armadillo type or any other recomendations.

I know this has been asked before, but

Any recomendations for a slick with good puncture resistance?

I know some grip may be sacrificed, but I'm 42 & don't hammer it around the corners, I'm just trying to stay reasonably fit.

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Richard

Giving it Large

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Was thinking of changing to Continental Ultra Gator Skin Rigid Tyre
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I found the Mondo Pros with the Armadillo belt were much better than those supplied with the bike. As with the GP4000 and GP4000S, while I never suffered a puncture the treads cut up quite badly, but unlike the GP's the grip wasn't so hot in the wet.

Of all the tyres I've used the best puncture resistance and tread wear has been Krylion Carbons.

I've now switched back to Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps now that the roads are cleaning up but I know what I'll be using come autumn and winter.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I've found the Rubino Pro folding tyres to be a good Mid-range tyre - they've got a central Slick section with a harder wearing pitted edge - they're 120 TPI.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ing%20Tyre

(If you're looking for a reasonbly priced mid-range tyre they're pretty good value - they're a similar price to the Gatorskins aswell).
  • Rich Hcp
    Thanks.

Just ordered a set of Vittoria Rubino Pro Folding Tyres, with tubes from Wiggle for £29.99
    Richard

Giving it Large