Ridgeback Horizon

john ponting
john ponting Posts: 491
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
I've asked this question elsewhere but more help is alway accepted ...

One man's meat is another man's poison etc etc but ...

has anybody actually got, or had, a Horizon and would like to offer me their thoughts ?

Fairly basic bike with Sora gears and 'guards for £499. Good base for sensible upgrades later? I'm 60, 16 stone, 12 months in to a return after 28 years off a bike. Currently have a Scott Sub20 for NCNs and about to become my commuter. I intend to do at least 2x 100km Audax this summer. Mid 80s Stan Pike fixie is not really for me these days.

I would, of course, always accept alternative suggestions but AUDAX is required, full 'guards, triple, less than £600.

Comments

• KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    John
    this is quite a good Audax type of bike. The frame is Aluminium but it should be a light and competent bike for distance. It's built for speed and distance rather than loaded touring, so would be a good Audax Bike.
    Spa Cycles have the more expensive Dawes Audax (a steel framed bike and arguably more comfortable fo distance riding although to be honest saddle and tyre size is as important as frame material imho) at £550 just now which is a good deal. I was looking for a replacement winter bike and saw it, it's a good deal if they have your size and they are a reputable dealer as well. See http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 1b1s21p442
  • Thanks for your comments Keith.

I had seen the Dawes at Spa and it is a good price. I think I need a 56 and Spa have 54 or 51. I really need to sit & feel as a 54 could be right - just don't want too much seat stem and have the bars too low.

Shame SPA are so far away. Wonder if I can find a Dawes locally.
  • I've asked this question elsewhere but more help is alway accepted ...

One man's meat is another man's poison etc etc but ...

has anybody actually got, or had, a Horizon and would like to offer me their thoughts ?

Fairly basic bike with Sora gears and 'guards for £499. Good base for sensible upgrades later? I'm 60, 16 stone, 12 months in to a return after 28 years off a bike. Currently have a Scott Sub20 for NCNs and about to become my commuter. I intend to do at least 2x 100km Audax this summer. Mid 80s Stan Pike fixie is not really for me these days.

I would, of course, always accept alternative suggestions but AUDAX is required, full 'guards, triple, less than £600.
    with one of my other hats on apart from an organiser 's hat(www.northernrockcyclone.co.uk) I can honestly say that the Horizon offers good value for money. I keep them in stock but will not advertise which retail emporium I have on this forum as it is neither the time or place. An alternative is the Ridgeback Voyageur which has canti brakes and a rack. both are ideal for audax events.
  • Peter, thanks for your comments and also your honesty in not advertising freely.

I have been struggling to find a shop with a Horizion for me to sit/touch even if not the right size.

Would it be OK for me to pm you at sometime to ask a few questions ? Possibly arrange a blast up to the NE to visit you ? I pass the 'rusty angel' several times a year and grab any opportunity to drop the car hood and enjoy fresh air.

Maybe I could ask the most basic question on here ? I have been riding an '80s 56/54 frame with seat top at 72cm. Is the Horizon a sloping or parallel tube frame (not easy from the pics).
  • For what it's worth, I have used a Ridgeback Meteor flat bar hybrid for Audax rides (1 x 100, 2 x 200 and 1 x 300km last year) and the bike didn't give me any problems.

I have to say I have not ridden anything else that I could compare it with, but that has not stopped me enjoying myself. Not unlike you, I am 57 years old and weigh (ahem) 14 stone.

My Meteor was originally fitted with 35c tyres, I fitted Continental Grand Sport (?) 28c tyres, which rolled more easily.

Good luck,
    Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • Peter, thanks for your comments and also your honesty in not advertising freely.

I have been struggling to find a shop with a Horizion for me to sit/touch even if not the right size.

Would it be OK for me to pm you at sometime to ask a few questions ? Possibly arrange a blast up to the NE to visit you ? I pass the 'rusty angel' several times a year and grab any opportunity to drop the car hood and enjoy fresh air.

Maybe I could ask the most basic question on here ? I have been riding an '80s 56/54 frame with seat top at 72cm. Is the Horizon a sloping or parallel tube frame (not easy from the pics).
    John - e mail me at petersan@btinternet.com. If you come up north maybe you should consider riding the cyclone www.northernrockcyclone.co.uk For my sins i'm the organiser.