Spinning

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
Hello :D

In an attempt to get fitter for mountain biking, I did my first spinning class at my gym last night... Oh my god :shock: I always thought I was fairly fit, but this was something else and I ache SO MUCH today!!

So, does anyone else do this? Or am I an idiot and should stop immediately (and actually go out on my bike instead :wink: )
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• pol924
    pol924 Posts: 13
    :lol: When i first did some spinning classes it concentrated on out of the seat riding which i rarly do riding a mountain bike. Beasted a whole new unused set of muscles in the legs, so know how you feel :cry:
    Worth sticking with it though
  • I love it! It will cream cracker you though. Any excess weight from christmas will drip off too.

I noticed a big fitness improvement (because I never used to stand up when riding either) within a couple of weeks of starting it.

Haven't done it for 3 weeks though as I've got some problem with my patella not pulling over (or something like that) when my leg straightens on the drown stroke. Looking forward to 10 weeks of physio now! Gutted I can't ride too! The problem came to light after doing several intense weeks of spinning.

Keep at it, but don't over-do it if you've only just started it.
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    spinnings fantastic, if you get a good group in the class it can be a really good craic too, which makes it all the better!
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • I love spinning. I go classes when I can be bothered... :lol:
    MySpace
    All fur coat and no knickers....
  • jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    , haha, love the attitude! and the honesty!
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    I go spinning too much! its a fantastic calorie burner.
  • OwenCB
    OwenCB Posts: 125
    Am glad people think this is a good way of getting the muscles used in cycling going, I'm pretty fit (for running and stuff) but after my first ride yesterday I know I'm miles away in the cycling sense, so was looking to suplement some road work with some spinning classes, think I'll sign up for some this week
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    I'm quite new to mountain biking and the gym, about 10 months of both. Having been 21 stone at christmas 2006, i'm now just trying to sneak under 16stone (cheers weightwatchers!). I try going to the gym twice a week (friday and sunday) and cycling every wednesday night, XC about 10-15 miles with a great bunch of peeps. Would I find 'spinning' a good class to take up, or would it be a bit beyond me?
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Well done :D

I would say give it a go - the classes I do are mixed ability / and fitness. I am probably one of the most unfit but am still enjoying it! It definitely won't be beyond you as you work to your own pace, and in my limited experience everyone is too busy trying to keep going themselves to worry about anyone else!!!

Go for it!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • endurojcb
    endurojcb Posts: 170
    I'm normally half dead by the end of the 10 minute warm up we do. lol

Your lungs should feel like they're about to come out of your mouth to get more air. When you get off the bike at the end you'll have a serious case of jelly legs too! Love it!!!! That's when you know you're having a good spinning session. After half a dozen sessions you'll really notice the difference on your 10-15 mile XC nights.
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • OwenCB
    OwenCB Posts: 125
    Did my first session at our local gym last night, I really enjoyed it too, and my legs aren't that sore today either, didn't stop my morning run too so I'm happy, booked in for next week already and hoping to make two sessions a week, hopefully it'll up my bike fitness in readiness for what I hope will be a fantastic summer
  • steelo wrote:
    I try going to the gym twice a week (friday and sunday)
    they're the two days when you SHOULDN'T go to the gym! The good God gave us the sabbath and the friday feeling for crappy tv!

Serious props about the weight loss though - top notch fella
    Train hard, ride easy