What's trail centre like at Bedgebury Forest?

dodgyknees
dodgyknees Posts: 148
edited February 2008 in Routes
Was scanning the moredirt website for MTB centres in the south and came across the MTB centre at Bedgebury Forest.

Sounds quite good with a visitore centre, 13km xc trail, and also a freeride area. Has anyone been and what's the place like?

Comments

• breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    Have a look in the Rides section and the Riders in kent thread or something along those names.

It is good, the center itself is very nice. The course is quite fun and theres as reasonable north shore area. Only issue this time of year is the bad mud, the fireroads are more like a swimming mission, oh and £6 to park so I park elsewhere and ride in on a bridleway!
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Bedgbury is excellent, especially when you consider that it's in (relatively) flat Kent 8)
    Have a look at the Boars On Bikes site for info on the improvements they've started to alleviate the mud-bath problems.

Take a look at my gallery for a few pics of bedgebury.

Have a browse here to see some of our discussions about Bedgebury and Blean. Check out the posts from Deadpool2e for some links to vids of Bedgbury singletrack and a link to his PinkBikes page with lots more Bedgbury pics.

I'm sure we'll be organising another get-together at Bedgbury soon. You're more than welcome to say "HELLO" and trundle round with us all.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I think it is a good place, not done the full 13km of singletrack, will do that this coming Saturday, but from what I have tried it seems good, a bit boggy in some places, but hopefully with some nice weather they might dry up a little.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    I really like Bedgebury but it really needs a bit of time to recover from constant winter riding. Even with the dry weather this week it was unrideable in places today. I reckon about 30% of the singletrack is mud at the moment and some of that is so deep you can hardly pedal through it. Boars on Bikes have done a great job of the boardwalks but its going to take a long, long time to cover everywhere that needs work. Its well worth a look but i'm going to wait for some prolonged dryer weather before i go back
  • Went to Bedgebury for the first time yesterday and was generally impressed with the place.

Did the family trail first with the wife and then my two teenage sons and I did the single track route after lunch. Agree with pittpony though about the mud.

Now I like a bit of mud on the trail this time of year but at Bedgebury at the moment some of the single track route is just crazy and unrideable. The first section was great but about a third of the way round you start to hit a series of very serious boggy areas which are impossible to ride and not much easier to walk the bike through.

It must be a great place to ride when it drys out but I would imagine it gets pretty crowded at the weekends.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Get there when it opens and it isn't too bad to be honest, gets really busy in the afternoons, judging from the car park, when I am leaving lunchtime/early afternoon.