Recumbent

hisoka
hisoka Posts: 541
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all,
Just a quick one. I was thinking about going touring and was planning to get myself a recumbent, or more specifically I was thinking about using the ideas from around and a about to make one.
Has anyone else tried this? What did it turn out like if you did?
Now I saw some hints that I might get stoned or just laughed at asking about recumbents (joke) but was still wondering about people's experiences with them.
"This area left purposefully blank"
Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I spoke to a chappy on a recumbant the other day on my way to work....

he seemed a little confused that a stranger was saying hello, but said that the recumby was a very comfortable way to get around. He also had a magnificent beard.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    cee wrote:
    I spoke to a chappy on a recumbant the other day on my way to work....

he seemed a little confused that a stranger was saying hello, but said that the recumby was a very comfortable way to get around. He also had a magnificent beard.

I think the beard is compulsory for recumbent riders and trikies (only the men, I think) :)

I seriously thought of buying a Trice last year. My brother has one and I've ridden it up and down the road and I borrowed one from the Trice stand at York CTC rally and had a longer ride. It was great fun but ... my main reservation isn't the usual one of not being seen but of not being able to see. One of the joys of cycle touring is looking over walls, hedges and fences at the scenery, at people's gardens and at traffic approaching junctions. With any recumbent your view is always liable to be restricted to the hedge bottoms, the gutter or the grass verge. So I've bought a new conventional bike instead.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    Hi Hisoka, it's a good idea to try a few different types out before committing yourself. You can do this at D-Tek in Cambridgeshire. Kevin, the owner, is very helpful and knowledgeable.

D-Tek,
    Little Thetford
    Ely
    CB6 1BR
    Phone: 01353 648 177

I have also sent you a PM re this.