Unfit Beginner Needs A Bike

Baz C
Baz C Posts: 29
edited February 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all, this is my 1st post on this forum so i'm sorry if you get this question a lot but i'm in aid of some of you're invaluable experience.
I'm just about to take up mtb'ing again and i've picked out 3 bikes that i like the look and sound of.
GENESIS CORE 10
GT AVALANCHE 1
GARY FISHER WAHOO DISC
I have about £500 to spend so if you have any other suggestions they would be more than welcome.
Also do any of you know any good trails in the AYRSHIRE area that i could try? ( go easy please i'm 30 and in need of some serious excercise :( ).

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Can't give you a lot of advice on the bikes (although I think the GT gets reasonable press), but I would recommend trying to find a local bike shop, sit on the bikes you like the look of, ride em around the carpark and if you can borrow one for the weekend (better shops have demo or loan bikes). Your budget isn't too bad, you should be able to get something fairly reasonable with upgrade potential for that money.

And before someone else says it have a trawl through the 'What Bike' thread in the buying advice section.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12540401
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result