bike mechanic

Felix-da-house-mouse
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

i was wondering, if i decided to go for a career change into bike mechanics does anyone know if there are any colleges offering such a course? if not how do you go about become qualified?
felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!

Comments

• I've got my name down with a bike shop who are goin to be running a bike mantainance course. Why don't you check out if your LBS are running any courses, and if not then they might be able to give you a few pointers in the right direction.I know there's a big difference between mantainance and being a qualified mech. but who knows it might be a start.
    dsc00020qd8.th.jpg
  • Most bike shop staff seem to use CYTECH as a qualification but Alf and Teresa Webb offer a City and Guilds, two week course also.

Are you sure about this career choice? I mean do you want to be poor for the rest of your life?
  • no i was just wondering, but hey the wages in my area are the lowest in scotland anyway.
    felix's bike

• i dunno what the average wage would be anyway.
    felix's bike

• i dunno what the average wage would be anyway.
    felix's bike

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    National minimum I'd imagine.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Aylesbury College run Advanced Cytec courses. You don't have to be 'qualified' to be a bike mechanic, but it probably helps with wage negotiations and many shops probably make it a pre-requisite. I think £10-12k is about the norm for an advanced mechanic with shop management experience in the south east - probably less elsewhere. Worth checking on the Evans Cycles website as they are probably continually looking for staff
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..