Advice?

dany_013
dany_013 Posts: 10
edited February 2008 in MTB beginners
Hey people. Just wondering if anyone can help me.
Seen this one just wondering if it's a decent starters bike.

http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/p ... xProd=4751

My budget is 200-230 at most. Im 5''7 and 10 stone (MOSTLY MUSCLE!!! :P ) so if anyone has any decent advice/bikes they can show me it would be much appreciated!

:: Dany ::
Thanks!!!

Comments

• Welcome to the forum :D . Any idea what type of riding you'll be doing? Just as this is a dirt/jump bike.
    This might be a better:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... isc%202008

Cheers,
    Scott
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Welcome.

You've come to the right place for advice.

Depends what type of riding you want to do, that bike is intended for jumping and other such bike related fun. If you're planning to ride cross country (XC) it won't be very suitable. Let us know what sort of riding (and which part of the country) and people should be able to give you some pointers.

Other thing to bear in mind is that buying from the internet can be fraught with danger, you're much better off finding a local bike shop where you can try a bike out and they can give you face to face advice (and be there to sort out any setup niggles or problems after you've bought, trying getting advice out of internet sellers afterwards :cry: ).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I knew someone would put it better than me :wink:
    Think i might give up on advice in future :cry:
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

• well i live in blackpool and i have a small forest and the Lake District as well as a couple of good rocky and hilly parks. Mostly dirt i would say but i dont know
    Thanks!!!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    SCOTTTOMO

and there was me thinking you'd put it way more to the point, nearly didn't post when I realised you'd beaten me to it :D .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • i mean i know of a small forest which gets really nasty in winter :roll:
    i also reside near a couple of big parks (parks as in fields with greenery and stuff and rock formations) and also a golf course which has some sick jumps on there as well as a huge formation of sand dunes so i guess its just for "bike related fun" but i also want it to be decent in areas like grizedale forest and small/medium like hills in and around coniston and keswick(ie lower end of skiddaw etc etc etc). Nothing to serious but enough to get by if you catch my drift.
    Thanks!!!
  • :lol: stumpyjon
    I suppose i just have a way with words :wink:
    Dany sounds like the areas your talkin bout are mainly xc based. But have a check through the forum with the serarch function on the top right to see the differences in riding diciplines. Or even wikipedia is really useful and better at explainin things than i am :lol: . As stumpyjon says try finding a bike shop near you and pop in for a chat andf try some bikes out. most bike shops really friendly.

• just to elaborate on the subject, i have narrowed my choice down to two. they are the

Saracen Instinct 1 @ £210

or

GT Chucker 3.0 2007 @ £240

any thoughts on either of these please share :P
    Thanks!!!
  • bump... any one?
    Thanks!!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you managed to see them in the flesh, maybe a quick test ride? Thats what I'd do. For a budget jump bike, not much choice in this price range.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Not much between them really, so as Supersonic says have a look and possibly test ride them. Your sure you want a dirt jump bike? You won't be able to put many miles under the wheels with one of them.