How to lobby for traffic calming measures?

BigSpecs
BigSpecs Posts: 309
edited February 2008 in Campaign
Hi All,
I live in a quiet residential street (with my wife and two small kids), which is consistently used as a rat run by commuting motorists. This (in particular their driving over the speed limit despite "20's plenty" signs) endangers local residents and makes the road a worse place to live. The other part of our road (on the other side of the main road) has had speed bumps and one end closed off for the same reasons.
I have spoken to many of my neighbours and they are keen to see something done and would welcome a petition.
Does anyone know the best way to go about getting something done? Who should I write to/ target? and is a petition the best way to go?
Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Petition, with accompanying, carefully argued letter, with any stats (traffic count, accidents, etc.) to Council. Address it to councillor in charge of highways. Get your local councillors and MP on side. first.

Demonstration with children carrying placards with emotive slogans with local media in attendance.

Request official traffic count, including traffic speeds.

And don't let up.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Petition, with accompanying, carefully argued letter, with any stats (traffic count, accidents, etc.) to Council. Address it to councillor in charge of highways. Get your local councillors and MP on side. first.

Demonstration with children carrying placards with emotive slogans with local media in attendance.

Request official traffic count, including traffic speeds.

And don't let up.

nice one Mike - I have a similar problem to Bigspecs and reckon they just need to close one end of the road off. evidence and publicity seems to be the way forward rather than just plain old good sense: the council need to have no alternative but to do it anyway or face public outcry or embarrassment.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan