Road bike for a grand?

Kelloggs
Kelloggs Posts: 17
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
I currently commute on a Tri Cross Comp, road/towpath. I want to get a road bike purely for weekends and trips, one planned to the Alps later this year! Looking to spend roughly £1,000 (or if I am speaking to my wife £300). Any ideas? I am 6 ft 1 in, and weigh a very healthy 15 st!

Look forward to your thoughts.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Planet X

Focus Cayo
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • regarding the Cayo, is the fact that you can not try it out first for size an issue?
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I just got one from ribble - you could see if this one is still on offer http://ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D ... BBXRIB1000

or there is a Planet-X one
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/road/inde ... AGE_id=234

Hope this helps
    adios
    doobz
    cartoon.jpg
  • redddraggon
    Kelloggs wrote:
    regarding the Cayo, is the fact that you can not try it out first for size an issue?

You get the geometry details on Wiggle - so if you know what dimensions you are comfortable with it's pretty easy.

It depends how picky you with the sizing (personally I'm not), reach can be finely adjusted with different stem lengths and heights, and you can change the saddle height.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    Doobz wrote:
    I just got one from ribble - you could see if this one is still on offer http://ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D ... BBXRIB1000

Have you received it yet? If so, what do you of the frame, haven't ridden mine yet.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • thanks for your help, should I spend the extra £400 and go for the expert?? is it worth it?
  • redddraggon
    Kelloggs wrote:
    thanks for your help, should I spend the extra £400 and go for the expert?? is it worth it?

If you can stretch the budget to £1500, I'd get the Chorus equipped bike. But the £1400 expert is good, but I'm not sure it's worth £400 more, as it's not a full Dura ace gruppo.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Doobz
    Doobz wrote:

Have you received it yet? If so, what do you of the frame, haven't ridden mine yet.

hey red, I have not had a ride on it yet but will get it on the turbo trainer later tonight if I get a chance and ride on the road on saturday if its nice and dry... ish - The frame is awesome and light.. I love the shape and curves also.. I setup my shoes and clips last night so need to get the ride position adjusted. also not very happy with the weight of the pedals I put on but i am sure they will be fine till I get some others..

howcome you have not ridden yours yet?

adios
    doobz
    cartoon.jpg
  • redddraggon
    Doobz wrote:
    howcome you have not ridden yours yet?

Combination of poor weather and don't want to ride it around Warrington (poor roads + idiot drivers), so I'm waiting until I can get the bike home to N. Wales, where's the roads are a much nicer place (if you know where to go).
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Doobz
    ahh I getcha.. I live on the wirral close to deeside and Wales - I believe there are some really awesome rides arround the llangollen and snowdonia area.. hopefully when I get some stonger legs I should be able to handle those hills etc :)

I will post some pics tonight of my bike when I get home from work
    cartoon.jpg
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I like the look of the Planet X and thought about getting one as my next winter training bike but what about the sizes. The XL has a 57cm top tube and thats hardly XL in my books - is it something to do with compact geometry that I am not aware of?
    Brian B.
  • redddraggon
    Brian B wrote:
    I like the look of the Planet X and thought about getting one as my next winter training bike but what about the sizes. The XL has a 57cm top tube and thats hardly XL in my books - is it something to do with compact geometry that I am not aware of?

From what I hear, the Planet X geometry is "ultra compact", so 57cm is probably about right going by that (assuming that normally a Large would be 56cm)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr