Beginners Bike - Any recommendations?

kenjonessa
kenjonessa Posts: 16
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
After a 5 year break from Amateur riding in South Africa, I've decided to get back on a bike and have entered a few events (namely London to Brighton and a few Sprint Triathlons). As I am starting from fresh, having to acquire all new kit, I am working to a budget and only have around £350 for a bike. Can anyone help with recommendations, including any decent, reputable shops. Thanks in advance

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Decathlon

Halfords (Carrera range)

Giant SCR (from mainly different retailers)

£350 doesn't give you much choice, although you can still get quality bikes for that price range.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Decathlon
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • I am a reletive newcomer and was on a similar budget to yourself.
    I went for the Giant SCR3 which if yiu shop around a bit you should pick uo for £350 try www.rutlandcycling.co.uk they always do thibgs at the right price.
    Decathlon has still got a sale on I think so they are very good value (Even out of the sale) I only road a few of their bikes on the shop floor but they all seemed fine.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • Thanks for the advice. I was fortunate enough to pick up a Giant SCR2 (2008) for £436. Once the LBS has set it up, I'll have to brave the English weather and try and get some mileage clocked up.

Thanks again
  • It may be worth looking at 2nd hand lots of people move on very quickly and 2-3 year old bikes in good nick are often on sale in the back of Cycling Plus, and the comic. Some of the big shops may well have ex demos going for a song as well.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed