hybrid or road bike - to buy or not

nigel roberts
nigel roberts Posts: 2
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
My road bike has died and i need a replacement. i don't see myself at 46 doing concentrated road work for the future . At present i commute 25 miles 3 times per week over falt and hilly landscapes and am therfore wonering about a sports hybrid. i would als like to do some long distance routes in the future. budget is not big £200-£300 pounds. can anyone help with useful advice please?
thanks

Comments

• jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    Something like this would be worth a look:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... X70%202008

Or any of the other Felt/Focus bikes on Wiggle. There are a few in your price range. Nice looking bikes and well specced.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    From my own experience of hybrids versus road bikes, I would imagine you would find the hybrid slower and harder work up the hills. I went from hybrid to road bike and found the road bike far faster, more comfortable, and easier up the hills. I do nothing but commuting on my bike, but my commute is all road so the road bike makes sense.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I have yet to comprehend the definition of "road" as opposed to "hybrid". Unless one employs "road" as synonomous with "race".Or automatically equates "road" to drop handlebars. Both of which to me seem plain wrong. A racing bike is one type of bike best suited to road i.e. tarmac use. There are other sub-types. Like tourer. Or 700c wheeled light weight. Or 26" wheeled lightweight. Or a 3 speed sit-up- and- beg.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    meagain wrote:
    I have yet to comprehend the definition of "road" as opposed to "hybrid". Unless one employs "road" as synonomous with "race".Or automatically equates "road" to drop handlebars. Both of which to me seem plain wrong. A racing bike is one type of bike best suited to road i.e. tarmac use. There are other sub-types. Like tourer. Or 700c wheeled light weight. Or 26" wheeled lightweight. Or a 3 speed sit-up- and- beg.

Fine, it's synonymous with race. Just because all bikes can go on road doesn't mean that they're a road bike, a road bike by definition has drop bars. Many road bikes aren't suitable for racing even though they have drop bars.

The hybrid probably has friendlier gears, but will weigh a bit more, the wheels will weigh more (might not be 700c usually). The road bike will be faster, lighter, and as long as you make sure that the wheels are properly trued and the gears properly looked after (would have to do this with a commuter unless you had an internal hub) then it would just be as reliable as the commuter.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    " a road bike by definition has drop bars"

NOW that is the definition with which I do not agree!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    I know what you mean but if you go in to a bike shop and ask to see the road bikes you know what they'll show you, don't you?
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • For that kind of money consider the Carrera Gryphon from Halfords currently selling at £285, there is a review of it on bike radar, just type in the title in search. I bought one and find compared to my road bike it is a little bit heavier and not as agile but has superb brakes, smooth sram gears and a nice easy ridy posistion. Worth considering as specialized,trek etc quite a bit more.