Folders and Buses?

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited February 2008 in Road general
Vaguely planning ahead: not many months now and I shall get my free bus pass, so thinking a folder might make a good birthday prezzie from the kids!!

I guess all true folders fine for trains, but rather assume small as possible for local buses (I've never actually seen anyone take one on a bus!). In practical terms, does that mean a Brompton?

Any thoughts welcome!
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Should be fine if you put them in the luggage bit. ive seen quite a few people use them.
    The thing i dont quite get about bromptons is the way te frames dont lock when theyre unfolded. Seems to me like it wouldnt be as rigid like that.

The new ridgebacks are pretty good.

From 170
    http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s19p558

to 340

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s19p115

Very light, 20" so its actually usable as a bike unlike some with 16" wheels and I can give from experience that they are very easy to fold up.
  • meagain
    Hadn't thought of those! The hub geared one looks practical and well-priced. Cheaper than a Birdy Rohloff (don't think a prezzie would run to one of them!).
    d.j.
  • Already got my B and Dahon for Sep when the bus pass kicks in !!
    B is definitely the best folder and not at all bad to ride with a decent saddle on. 4 quid catch from Spa will solve the drooping rear if you really feel you need it. D jetstream P8 rides better but fold is messy. Put it in a bag and you can take it anywhere.
    Which one would I choose for bus use if forced ? It's a hard call and I'm glad I have both. I think if I had to choose the scales would just tip in the direction of the Brompton, but only just. Then again if I was choosing as my only bike I think the D would be the winner.
  • meagain
    Thanks! I rather fancy a Birdy - but I suspect that the attraction is mainly visual.

Just about everything I read turns me back towards Bromptons (though I have come across an alu folder that appears to be a near enough straight copy - probably get caught in patent law shortly!).
    d.j.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Look the Brompton to New York and carried on my knee on the airport bus..
    jc
  • I frequently take my Brompton on the buses in North Wales & on trains & has not proved to be a problem , even when quite crowded. Mersey Rail & Arriva Wales are sympathetic to full sized cycles also.
    I bought my Brompton "second hand" & there are always a few in A to B magazine.