Sportive etiquette

sean65
sean65 Posts: 104
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Hi All,

Thinking of doing an early season 100k sportive but have a few nagging doubts, namely on etiquette.

Having never ridden with a club or on any other event involving many cyclist what should I be aware of when riding?

Also, are there any bike issue's/restrictions I should know about?

Thanks in advance

Sean

Comments

• guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    There is nothing really to worry about, just make sure if there are lots of riders around you that you don't move erratically and don't break sharply. You'll soon pick up hand signals that people use. As for bike restrictions this will depend on the event you are entering. Most of all have fun that why you are doing it.
  • Doom
    Doom Posts: 133
    sean65 wrote:
    Hi All,

Thinking of doing an early season 100k sportive but have a few nagging doubts, namely on etiquette.

Having never ridden with a club or on any other event involving many cyclist what should I be aware of when riding?

Thanks in advance

Sean

My experience of sportives has led me to believe that you have nothing to worry about as riders tend to fend for themselves. I.e. Sit on your wheel until they have recovered enough to attack you off their wheel :D
    FCN: 4
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    sean65 wrote:
    Most organisers don't allow bikes fitted with tri-bars to be used (safety issue as you need to be able to reach the brakes quickly at all times) but other than that, just about anything goes. Make sure your bike is in good mechanical condition and the tryes aren't worn out and prone to punctures.

It would be a good idea to ride in a group with a local club beforehand to pick up the technique of riding on a wheel, but not essential. If you are not comfortable riding in a group, then just ride the event on your own, but this will of course make it harder for you as you can't shelter behind another rider.

There are a few tips on ridinig in a group on the forum already here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12547752
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12543251
  • i done london to paris in sept, and i would definately recommend no sharp braking or eratic moves as both of thes by the person in front/side of me pushed me into a parked car in france. nice big dent on the (newish) car from my elbow. Nice old french couple never claimed off my insurance which shows the difference in attitudes towards cycling in France.
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    kind of on track

I was told Camelbacks aren't really the done thing... any reason for this?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    edited February 2008
    It's supposed to be very "uncool" for road riders to use camelbacks. Personally I don't want weight on my back when road riding, but I find a camelback very useful on my mountain bike in muddy conditions, to avoid drinking from bottles which always tend to get fouled up with mud and sheep s***. Having said all that you will see plenty of riders on road bikes using them on sportives.
    Camelback = sweaty/wet back on a bike, so it'd be a no for me on a road bike.

However If I'm walking on the hills I'll carry two 3L camelbacks, so I guess they are pretty handy.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I always use a camelbak; 2 litre for shorter rides and the 3 litre is good for well over 100 miles unless it's really warm (if only!) I'm never bothered with a sweaty back, and I sweat like a nervous pig on a treadmill. In a sauna. As for looking cool; you'll be wearing lycra, probably in garish colours, with funny clippety-cloppety shoes and (I would guess) some painted polystyrene on your head. I shouldn't worry too much :wink:
  • sean65
    nasahapley wrote:
    As for looking cool; you'll be wearing lycra, probably in garish colours, with funny clippety-cloppety shoes and (I would guess) some painted polystyrene on your head. I shouldn't worry too much :wink:

LOL. That's another problem I have, everything I wear is black. Not the best choice of colour for road riding.

Thanks for all your comments. Not sure I can understand why Camelbacks are uncool. I haven't got one but I think they're great. Water, tube, pump and multitool in one compact unit. Not as uncool as dehydrating on the side of the street waiting for the sweep truck. :lol:

I'll just give it a go and learn from the experience.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I don't use a camelback, because I find it uncomfortable. 2 x 75cl bottles are more than enough to get you between checkpoints, where you can get them refilled. I can't think of anything worse than starting a ride with 3 litres of water slopping round my back!
  • I don't use a camelback, because I find it uncomfortable. 2 x 75cl bottles are more than enough to get you between checkpoints, where you can get them refilled. I can't think of anything worse than starting a ride with 3 litres of water slopping round my back!

Oh I dunno; your house burning down, finding your missus with another fella, being shot etc :( .

Seriously though, I got the camelbak because I like my long hilly rides round the Dales and don't want to have to plan a cafe stop or rely on shops in little villages being open on Sundays! I'll be using it on my first sportive as I prefer my own energy drink mix to just water, and because I'm just used to it now. Each to their own and all that!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Having group riding experience is worthwhile - even getting along to your local CTC ride will help. Ride behind other riders - don't overlap / half-wheel - if they have to move over, they'll take you out. Avoid going up the middle of the group - go around the outside i.e. middle of the road to overtake. The riders behind have limited visibility and rely on people in front to ride considerately, particularly at the start where there are bigger groups and they are taking it easy. Measure your efforts - if in doubt, sit-on rather than burning yourself out.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Camelback = sweaty/wet back on a bike, so it'd be a no for me on a road bike.

However If I'm walking on the hills I'll carry two 3L camelbacks, so I guess they are pretty handy.

TWO 3l Camelbaks?? that is a ridiculous amount of weight to carry when hillwalking. Even if you did need to drink that much water (which I doubt) there are water sources everywhere you can top up from
    <a>road</a>
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Camelback = sweaty/wet back on a bike, so it'd be a no for me on a road bike.

TWO 3l Camelbaks?? that is a ridiculous amount of weight to carry when hillwalking. Even if you did need to drink that much water (which I doubt) there are water sources everywhere you can top up from

It is a lot yes, but in the end it's only 6Kg, and a 1litre per hour of exercise is recommended. I don't carry much else normally anyway, and I'd rather not faff about with water from streams.

When I go away with the army, 25Kg+ on my back and shoulders and my rifle (only 1 camelback then though), makes the 6L I take on hikes look insignificant.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    presumably if you had a Camelback on a sportive (which i haven't), then you would save time as you would not need to stop to refill your water bottles - which may be useful, if you have to queue for 10 mins to refill with energy drink (normally the worng brand at 1/10 the regular strength anyway).
  • Camelback = sweaty/wet back on a bike, so it'd be a no for me on a road bike.

It is a lot yes, but in the end it's only 6Kg, and a 1litre per hour of exercise is recommended. I don't carry much else normally anyway, and I'd rather not faff about with water from streams.

When I go away with the army, 25Kg+ on my back and shoulders and my rifle (only 1 camelback then though), makes the 6L I take on hikes look insignificant.

Just curious, what the hell do you have in your pack that weighs 25kg? Five changes of clothes and month's worth of food?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    star_rover wrote:
    Just curious, what the hell do you have in your pack that weighs 25kg? Five changes of clothes and month's worth of food?

For the fitness test, 8miles in two hours, it's just mainly dead weight.

In the field, it's maybe a bit less. Night vision sight, sleeping bag, basha, washing kit, rifle cleaning kit, waterproofs, warm kit, spare clothes, cooking kit, food, water, helmet, ammunition, and then there's loads of random assorted crap that collect in my pockets. All the issue kit is bloody heavy to start with.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I never take my rifle cleaning kit on a Sportive; it would be against the etiquette. :lol:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• star_rover wrote:

For the fitness test, 8miles in two hours, it's just mainly dead weight.

In the field, it's maybe a bit less. Night vision sight, sleeping bag, basha, washing kit, rifle cleaning kit, waterproofs, warm kit, spare clothes, cooking kit, food, water, helmet, ammunition, and then there's loads of random assorted crap that collect in my pockets. All the issue kit is bloody heavy to start with.

Ah. The lightweight revolution has yet to reach the army then.

Anyway, back to sportives . . .
  • sean65
    pneumatic wrote:
    I never take my rifle cleaning kit on a Sportive; it would be against the etiquette. :lol:

And I imagine the use of modern carb' gels may negate the need for the cooking kit! :wink: