Triathlon bikes?

jam1e
jam1e Posts: 1,068
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
This has been bugging me for some time...

Why do roadie bikes and triathlon bikes, which are presumably both designed to cover road miles as efficiently as possible, look totally different? Surely if one design was better for "roadieing" both sports would use that design...

Cheers!

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Tri bikes aren't as good at climbing - designed for aerodynamics, and are pretty uncomfortable over longer distances compared to normal road bikes.

Tri bikes also aren't as good for group riding due to your hands being a bit off the brakes if on the aero bars.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Is not the relative saddle/cranks positions different (tri riders placed further forwards) to cater for "runners" muscle usage/developmemt?
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    meagain wrote:
    Is not the relative saddle/cranks positions different (tri riders placed further forwards) to cater for "runners" muscle usage/developmemt?

It's not just that, the further forward the better aerodynamically you can get.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    Tri bikes tend to be uncomfortable as well, the design is more stiff, so more power is transfered, but you wouldn't want to spend all day on one like a road bike.

So they both aim to get the optimum, for different purposes on the road.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Tis explains the different positions, and why...
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/ ... kefit.html