Rollers

jon208
jon208 Posts: 335
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Anyone here use rollers for their indoor training, they look like a decent idea for including core strength training etc but equally I've seen Youtube clips of first timers struggling dramatically with them! Are they really that difficult to use?

Jon

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    First outing on them is scary without doubt but you pick up the technique very quickly.........well it's either that or fall off a lot!

First ride, position them in a doorway so you've got wall both sides to grab. Start in a big gear to build up centrifugal force in your wheels that will help balance you and hold the bars near the stem not the brake levers as any movement in your arms will have you swinging from side to side across the rollers.

They are more interesting to ride than a turbo, but I think for a really hard session I'd still chose a turbo - rollers are available with resistance but they are pricey and when it gets to "red mist time" I think the chances of staying upright on rollers is slim.

The good news is that rollers do improve your balance and pedalling technique. They are also great for easy spin recovery rides if your legs are very sore. More chat on this subject here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12544748
  • I bought a set of rollers about a month ago and think they are fantastic. They are nowhere near as hard to master as people would have you believe, provided you concentrate, as Bronzie said position them where you have something to grab hold of. I've found them great for upping my cadence, time spent on them goes much quicker than on the turbo, and your bike handling improves. There is a set for sale on the British Cycling website (in the classifieds) at the moment.
  • JonBurns
    JonBurns Posts: 212
    Yep I got some 2nd hand ones off ebay as didn't want to spend too much on something I might not be able to do.

I'm still learning but you can't go wrong with something to grab onto either side of you. I'm doing it just wearing trainers as I haven't confidence yet to try it clipped into my pedals.

So far no bike scratches or injury.
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    I had a stationary trainer for about 5 years and spent a grand total of 3 hours on it....I hated the thing.. Felt like I should be inserting a coin somewhere for a ride....
    I bought a set of rollers and absolutely loved them... Set them up in the hallway, got a child's step stool for mounting/dismounting and got my camelbak for hydration.... I don't have a 'safe' area to set the rollers up in the living room...too close to the fireplace :shock: There is a new design of rollers that is almost 'idiot proof' and allows for sprinting, riding no-hands, easy mounting/dismounting, etc..... however, the price is 2x the norm for a set of rollers. I am having some left knee issues (water-on-the-knee) and as soon as the Ortho says I'm good to go, my credit card will be just a little heavier :D
    Check out their videos: http://www.insideride.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=36
    Cajun
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    edited February 2008
    My tips for the Rollers:

Note: The axle of the front wheel should be 1/4” – 1/2” behind the axle of the front drum, but not to exceed 3/4”.

Getting started:
    1.Place the rollers in a hallway (this gives you plenty of secure surface area for recovery while you’re learning).

2.Pump tires to 100-110 psi (lower pressure seemed to ‘eat up’ my tires.)

3.Place bike on rollers. (bike will be about 3”-5” higher than normal, so a step-stool will be beneficial for mounting/dismounting the bike.)

4.Place feet on pedals, one hand on top of the handlebar and the other hand on the wall for balance to begin pedaling.

5.With one hand on the handlebars, and the other hand on the wall, begin pedaling to achieve a minimum 85rpm & 18-19 mph….remember: velocity & balance are the only things that will keep you upright. As you gain your balance & center of gravity, move your ‘wall hand’ to the handlebar.

6.DO NOT – DO NOT -- DO NOT look at the front wheel or front roller. As you begin, your front wheel will likely ‘roam’ all over the front roller (left to right to left to right, etc.) and if you look at the front wheel/roller, you will dramatically over-correct.!!!. Focus on an object about 20 feet directly in front of you…your natural ability to balance and ride upright & straight will kick in and you’ll get the feeling of riding down a straight road.

7.Without looking at the front wheel, front roller or the handlebar, ‘mentally’ position yourself in the center of the rollers (or hallway) by shifting your balance to this position and enjoy the ride…..Remember that you have zero steering abilities….the front wheel is supposed to remain 90° perpendicular to the front roller.

8.Pay attention!! You don’t read books or watch TV while riding on the road, so until you’re experienced enough, concentrate on what you’re doing….as you spend more time on the rollers, you’ll be able to watch tv, etc…..but until then, you’re in the learning mode and subject to rolling off the edge of the rollers.

9.Don’t worry about riding off the rollers and shooting down the hallway…it’s impossible to do this, even if your computer is registering 50mph… riding off the rollers will only bring you to a stop (against the wall or possibly on the floor if you’ve gotten brave enough to move away from a recovery source).
    Cajun
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Took delivery of my first set last week and I love em. First couple of tries were nerve wracking but you pick it up quite quickly. As others have said, definitely start in a doorway! Oh and set up a fan near you, I got so hot the other day I had to stop and go get a fan!
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Be careful when learning, changing gear will have you wobbling all over the place, as will getting your drink bottle out of the cage and putting it back is a nightmare. Keep all pets out of the room because if it walks in front of you, you will swerve :oops: and then your better half will take the P for weeks. With practice you will be riding no hands and taking your top off whilst riding. It's worth the effort. Enjoy.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • JonBurns
    JonBurns Posts: 212
    I'm doing it in the garage and it has to be said that focusing on the inside of the garage door is pretty dull. Might see if I can get an inspirational cycling picture to put on it.....hmm wonder what's in the Girls in Lycra thread.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I started-out in a corridor, nice walls on each side to push off with my elbows if I veered sideways.
    After a while, I migrated into the utility room, then later into the garage.
    I then started to use the aerobars and moved back into the corridor because the garden forks, spades, brooms, hosepipe, ladders, etc, etc in the garage were just too unnerving !
    I'll get there again...
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    The last time tumbled off them, was whilst standing up , I got the bike rocking and went off the back of the rollers :oops: Still it taught me a lesson. Keep it smooth :)
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace