Dawes Ultra Galaxy or Hewitt Cheviot SE

pa7206
pa7206 Posts: 21
edited February 2008 in Tour & expedition
Am looking at both these models, any experience of them ?

Which would anyone recommend, and why ?

Comments

• Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    Get a copy of this months 'Cycle' magazine (the CTC magazine) it has an article on the Galexy range and comparisons to Cheviot.

I seem to remember the Cheviot came out ahead in quality and price I think was less.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    IS that sold in newsagents or only to CTC members?
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    pa7206 wrote:
    Am looking at both these models, any experience of them ?

I have a Dawes Audax but when I was looking at Galaxies before that, people seemed to think the Super Galaxy was better value than the Ultra Galaxy which didn't seem to give that much more for an extra £300.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I've had my Super Galaxy for 5 years, for the first 4 of which it was my main bike. Very comfortable over a month-long tour, fully laden, equally good when stripped down for a week in the Alps, a wholly reliable commuter in all weathers, geared so that I was never short at either end of the spectrum (and smooth in between), mechanically sound, robust when used on dirt tracks, smooth on the road. I'm about to replace the drivetrain for the first time after about 10,000km (even the chain is original! :oops: :oops: )

I spent last summer having a lot of fun on a Specialized Roubaix. This year, I am planning to tour again on the Dawes.

No experience of the Hewitt, but hope that helps.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Brains
    clanton wrote:
    IS that sold in newsagents or only to CTC members?

It has a price on the cover,soit must be abailable somewhere other than free to all CTC members

So if you want a copy either find one of the 130,000 members and ask to borrow it, or I'd guess it must be available on the CTC website, they run an on-line shop
  • I've got a Super Galaxy that I use for my commuter/utility bike. It's a sturdy, do anything bike but the wheels were not very well built - spokes kept loosening and it needed a retrue after about 1000 miles. There are also pretty common - go on any CTC ride and there will be 3 or 4 Super Galaxies.

If I was getting a new touring bike now I'd go with the Hewitt. Not only will it be 'cooler' and more exclusive, the fitting service is legendary.
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    pa7206 wrote:

I'm sure the Galaxy is a great bike, enough people have them and the tours they've done prove it's capabilities. I considered one before buying a Hewitt Cheviot SE. The advantages as I saw them were;
    Fitting service - it waas my first touring bike and I wanted to be sure the fit was right.
    Wheelbuilding - Paul Hewitt has a good reputation.
    Braze ons - you can choose what you want
    Colour - again whatever you want and it's a quality finish
    Polished SS dropouts - I don't know if they have any practical advantage, but they look very nice.
    Components - yet again, whatever you want, rather than what Dawes have bulk bought. I have a Campag/Shimano mix that you'll not find on an off the peg bike.
    use your own kit - I already had a rack, pedals. saddle and dynamo hub, Paul Hewitt incorporated these and was very fair whan adjusting the price.
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    I have a Hewitt, my mate has a Dawes Ultra, we both bought them about the same time, about 2 years ago

We argued for ages over which was the best, even down to compiling spreadsheets breaking down each component ( it was a boring day at work and thats what the internet and email are for isn't it?)

Don't get me wrong, theres nothing wrong with the Dawes, but I feel the my Hewitt couldn't be beaten even considering the extra price
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • Brains
    Ashley_R wrote:
    I have a Hewitt, my mate has a Dawes Ultra, we both bought them about the same time, about 2 years ago

We argued for ages over which was the best, even down to compiling spreadsheets breaking down each component ( it was a boring day at work and thats what the internet and email are for isn't it?)

Don't get me wrong, theres nothing wrong with the Dawes, but I feel the my Hewitt couldn't be beaten even considering the extra price

That was essentially the same conclusion from the review in Cycle Magazine. If you want me to scan in a copy and send it, PM me.

l