welsh climbs - Devil Ride

paul1171
paul1171 Posts: 5
Hi - I've entered the Devil Ride for this August. I've been trying to find out as much as I can about the climbs and have several graphs I've found on the net but cannot find the Gammallt anywhere. Any ideas? Sounds from the description that it'll be the toughest on the route. Anyone ridden it? Thanks.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm doing it also, I suppose I had a wee bit to play in starting off this Sportive as I started a thread over in Cyclosport.Org forum about using these infamous Climbs as part of a Mid Wales sportive....and was over the moon that Phil from Autmun Epic Sportive fame has took the reigns :D

It should be outstanding...Ever since I seen these photo's of the Climbs I was hooked:-

http://www.kidderminsterctc.smugmug.com ... 2089#P-7-9

Check out the sevirty of the gradients...but I do beleive the Devils Staircae to be the toughest...Gamallt follows directly after...you won't get any better photo's than them.

Hope this helps.
  • Chaps...
    I be also riding come August, thanks for the photo link. I fear there could be a
    certain amont of "Puffing & Wheezing" going on. Nice views, not sure if I will be able
    to enjoy then though!! :oops: :oops:

"Show me the money...."
  • mozwyn69
    mozwyn69 Posts: 170
    I've done them both. Both hard but doable especially if you a Fred Whitton veteran. Devils stair case is possibly my favorite climb anywhere and in one of the most stunning parts of Wales. Trivia bit - some of the moor scenes in American werewolf in London were filmed in Abergwesyn which is passed through en route to the staircase. Don't stray from the path...
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself
    before you can find anything.
  • I've just signed up for the little devil... err big devil :shock:

Gonna have to do some serious hill training for this one. I can manage the distance, but my knees start to blow up after they've done a fair wodge of climbing.

To build up to 10,000ft (3000m) between now and then I guess I'm gonna have to increase my climbs by about 400m each month. I don't mean climb 400m in one month DOH!

If I add 400m to each weekly ride and ride it for 4 weeks, then the 2nd month I'll be up to an extra 800m for each ride, and the 3rd month's rides will be climbing 1200m.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan of action if I want to increase my climbing distances? Thoughts anybody?
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    The Devil's Staircase is the steeper - it's only just rideable. Here's a piccie of me (red helmet) climing it on the 2005 Elenith - standing on the pedals, granny gear, rear wheel periodically breaking traction due to the steepness...

1150710985elenit.jpg
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    And a few minutes googling later here's the Milk Race going up it in about 1990:

devils2.jpg
  • :shock: that's definitely a challenge!! No steeper than the 25% and 30% climbs in the lakes tho and I've done them. Admittedly 3 years ago now and I need some training to do it again.

As much as I like climbing and pushing myself hard up a climb I don't want the day to be 'nasty'. 3 weeks training 1 off, 3 on 1 off, a few of them and I'm ready to take it on.

When you mentioned the back wheel losing traction, it brought back my climbing in the lakes. I remember it happening to me. You've got to get just the right point of leaning over the bars whilst still keeping some weight over the cranks and back wheel or you've had it. Trying to get started on >25% gradient is nigh on impossible(clicking in is the problem) but doable.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Must say those are very good photo's...but these ones spell it our for me...

http://www.kidderminsterctc.smugmug.com ... 53155-L-LB

http://www.kidderminsterctc.smugmug.com ... 53347-A-LB

I reckon these will be a very tough climbs, but as a frequent visitor to the Lakes / Dales / NY Moors I reckon I know what to expect...it'll be the triple with lowest 30x27 for me...

Think this sportif will be wonderful, maybe not the toughest challenge out there but still a very serious undertaking,the Devils Staircase is legend, it simply must be dodne, I've did most of all the other monuments in the UK so this will just add to the memories, all in a area I havent cycled before...and it should be one of the best organised events as the Autumn Epic is one of the most revered sportifs on the calendar, and its the same folks who do this one..
  • I'm naffed then, my lowest is 39x25 :shock:
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    I'm naffed then, my lowest is 39x25 :shock:

Depends on your build/strength

I saw a friend climb it easily during the Elenith on 39/26 a couple of years ago-he was a lightweight (in the nicest possible way)

I'm not, and got up in 39/29

It's not just about the Devils staircase, although the sportif carries the name, some of the scenery is very worth your while. Which goes to explain why the Elenith has the following it does
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • 76kg 10% body fat. I did the 25-33% in the lakes about 3 years ago on 39-25(I just checked on my old bianchi) I just need to recapture my fitness!

I hope the weather is as nice as all the pics I've seen.