Cardiff Sunday road ride

dombo6
dombo6 Posts: 582
Hi, I'm in Cardiff this weekend. Is there a road club ride going out on Sunday? I usually go with the 18mph group in my local club.
Where d'you meet? Did a Saturday ride last time from the bike shop (Cyclopedia I think) in Crwys Road.
Thanks.

Comments

• Sunday ride starts at 09:30 ish from Maindy track. Usually a bit faster and longer than saturday.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I might be joining on also, either this one or port talbot, as long as it is not icy again !!
  • I won't - wales v Scotland in Cardiff, I doubt I'll see sunday at all......
  • dombo6
    Thanks guys, excellent ride. Don't know if I saw you, I was the English bloke in fluorescent yellow top on the orange/black Lemond.
  • oldwelshman
    Dombo6 wrote:
    Thanks guys, excellent ride. Don't know if I saw you, I was the English bloke in fluorescent yellow top on the orange/black Lemond.
    Presume you did the 75 miles?
    If so I got dropped towards top of Penderyn by front group of 12 or so, then on ride towards Merthyr a couple punctured so a group of us caught up again.
    Then just after merthyr Vale at lights, on guy could not clip in and two guys went into back of him and over bars :D
    The ride was a bit hard and fast for my liking after hard ride saturday :D Got back to Maindee just after 1:15 so quite quick for 75 miles !!
  • David its why I dont do it....half the group aren't club members let alone racers. Too much testosterone for my liking at this time of year :wink:
  • dombo6
    Dombo6 wrote:

Yes, it seemed rude not to - plus I missed the place where the ride split so stuck with it! Pace was fine until the Brecon Beacons where it really picked up and I struggled to stay with a bloke in red and two or three in the black and pink medicentre team kit. It was as much as I could do to hang on so aploogies for not doing some towing. After that there was a brilliant through and off for several miles, followed by confusion on my part where everyone seemed to be stopped strung out along the road through a village. I kept going and eventually picked up the bloke in red again and a bunch I'd been riding with earlier, while we were fixing a flat. Average speed riding time 18mph.
  • oldwelshman
    You must have rode with me :D
    I was about 20 seconds behind front group and knew I would not catch them so I slowed over the top and waited for two guys, then in the distance I saw the guy ion pink, also the guy in red so I told the guys I was with to wait for them.
    At the bottom of the climb I dropped back to another group with the young girl in and got them back into a gorup and sorted out throguh and off for a few miles.
    I was on a blue steel ribble, wearing a a blue assos top, I was doing through and off with the 2 ajax guys.
    The front group stopped for puncture and we passed them, they caught us later so I jumped on with them and the last 20 miles was quick!!
  • Well the 100 mile ride today was tough, first time I've ridden the route, I think more a case of lack of fitness than a really hard route...managed to complete it with a 16MPH average which I thought was pretty respectable - not bad considering my longest ride this year so far has been 50 miles in 3 hours...

Any of you guys do the ride today?

Cracking weather, a little cold perhap.

Just have to decide whether to do the JIF 100 next week now - I suspect it will be a tougher route though...
  • oldwelshman
    No I am currently in Israel :(
    I am back in wales next week to wqatch the rugby but not sure if I would have time to do the 100miler on sunday.
    Is it from maindee?
    Can you send me route details?
    Maybe I will ride down and do some of it and head back to parents after 70 or 80.
  • Dombo6 wrote:
    If so I got dropped towards top of Penderyn by front group of 12 or so, then on ride towards Merthyr a couple punctured so a group of us caught up again.
    Then just after merthyr Vale at lights, on guy could not clip in and two guys went into back of him and over bars :D
    The ride was a bit hard and fast for my liking after hard ride saturday :D Got back to Maindee just after 1:15 so quite quick for 75 miles !!

I got dropped at that point 1 mile outside Penderyn by a lorry :shock: on Tuesday totaled the bike.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Oh dear Mark, hope you're OK - that's the main thing!

I'm sure the driving in South Wales is getting worse and worse, nearly knocked off twice yesterday during the 100 - both times on roundabouts, as if the weather could have been any clearer - they just don't seem to register you when your on a bike...

It seems like everytime I go out recently I'm thinking about whether something is going to happen.

Regarding JIF100, one of my mates has suggested it may not be on this Sunday due to Ian from Cyclopaedia being injured or something, but don't quote me on that!

Dodge
  • thanks, I am ok. I hobbled to the nearest pub :D had an OJ whils waiting for a lift :wink:
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Dombo6 wrote:

I got dropped at that point 1 mile outside Penderyn by a lorry :shock: on Tuesday totaled the bike.

Were you / are you OK????