bowser Posts: 163
edited March 2009 in Road general
hi just read hilary stones review of the raleigh banana team bikes
anyone know where i can find original specs for the team replica 531 model
im just restoring one hopefully to original condition

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    What year(s)? I have some 1984 specs, though not for bikes in Banana colours, that might give some clues if anywhere near the right period..
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • bowser
    i think 1988 there is a frame no starting with "W" on the bottom bracket shell but is obscured by the cable guide plate the wheels are not original ft shimano 105 rear miche
    gearing is 105 indexed with a six speed cassette.
    thanks
  • meagain
    I'll have a look at '84 specs!

AFAIR, the "W" (for Worksop i.e. Carlton frames) cont'd to be used at the Ilkeston Special Products site well after the Worksop plant closed.

I THINK - a Raleigh expert might be along shortly!
    d.j.
  • meagain
    The 1984 Team Replica (not Banana though I'm pretty sure) is included here - don't know if you can enlarge sufficiently. The relevant catalogue is probably om the web wherever it was I found this one - try some deep searching!

ral842.jpg
    d.j.
  • bowser
    the team replica listed is the "ti" model which came with the campag gruppo in team colours.
    mine is a later model and probably one of the last "team replicas" to be produced
    most of these i have seen are "501" cro-mo or 18-23 gas pipe steel tubing with low spec equipment ie sachs huret gears weinmann brakes etc
    interesting listing anyway any idea which website you used?
    have tried retro raleigh. raleigh worldwide.
  • meagain
    "any idea which website you used?"

Fear not - and I have tried as much lateral searching as my aging brain can manage. It was a comprehensive archive of many vehicle catalogues - exotic cars as well as m'cycles and bikes as I recall. And I think it was Italian-originated.

May have gone I suppose.

I do have the photos that go with the specs above if anyone interested.

My interest at the time was the Road Ace with AX stuff that I had bought - which I think became the donor for the one that Dickie resurrected.
    d.j.
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    The team banana was 531c and 6 speed 105, with 105 single pivot brakes. A nice bike from memory.

Dave you are right, it was the donor. I still have it mothballed in Uncs loft.

http://pics-by-dickie.fotopic.net/list_collections.php
  • p_wills
    p_wills Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I know I'm a bit late in replying to this post but I have a 531 Banana (owned from new) which is totally original apart from tyres and chain!
    If you still need any help or pics then let me know.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Bottom gear of 42/18 - those were the days!
  • Hello there i've just read your article , i am the proud owner of a competition 531c Raleigh Banana 1988 model year in original mint condition just been out on it today after 9 years in storage and i can tell you the bug came straight back ! i've owned the bike since new and can see your after info on spec, well the brakes are shimano 600, levers are shimano 105 SLR , rear deraleur 105 front deraleur 105, gear levers 105, pedals and crank 105, cinelli stem and handlebars , laprade SR seat post with cinelli seat, 105 front yoke nuts and bearings . spindles 105 with weinmann aero rims the original tyres were weinman 700x20 20x622 . hope this is of some help to you .if you have any more questions send me an e-mail and i'll reply asap. one thing i couldnt afford when i bought the bike was a team banana shirt and would love to get my hands on one its probably a long shot 20 years later but if you can help it will be much apreciated , i've got the pants . my e-mail address is dstep@blueyonder.co.uk cheers hope you are successfull. David . :D
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    robbarker wrote:

I was just thing that too! Non of your compact chainsets in those days!

I have a Raleigh Triathlon from the late 80's that I now used as my winter bike. Only the frame, bars and stem are left from the original bike. I can't believe I used to ride it round the North Yorks moors when I was 15 or 16 years old with a 42 ring on. Think it might have helped that I was a couple of stone light than I am now and didn't have this thing called work to get in the way of my training.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    hugo15 wrote:
    robbarker wrote:

I was just thing that too! Non of your compact chainsets in those days!

I have a Raleigh Triathlon from the late 80's that I now used as my winter bike. Only the frame, bars and stem are left from the original bike. I can't believe I used to ride it round the North Yorks moors when I was 15 or 16 years old with a 42 ring on. Think it might have helped that I was a couple of stone light than I am now and didn't have this thing called work to get in the way of my training.

I'm rebuilding my Triathlon this week if I find time - bought it new in 1987 for £308 and I still have all the original parts, except the bars and saddle. Not sure how I'm going to manage with a 42-21 bottom gear and downtube shifters on the commute! :oops:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Snap.
    I still use a Raleigh Triathlon with 52/42 at the front plus the two lowest gear at to back have shot it.Hence I try to miss the steep stuff.New block and chain time :wink:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N ... 675787816/
    Also using this again how the salt has gone.Again it is 52/42.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N ... 673051032/
    bagpuss