Which are the best clipless pedals?

Gotte
Gotte Posts: 494
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
I've got some looks, and I do like them now I've got used to...except for walking in the shoes. I've never caught myself in the mirror, but I bet I look a right idiot. Also, they seem more dangerous to me off the bike than on - I'm continually skidding around.
Are SPDs better or worse when on the bike (I guess they could only be better off the bike), and if they are better, why do so many road bikes have Looks?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The reason the spd-sl and look and time etc are connsidered better is that they have more surface and feel more secure when theyre on the bike. My spd's however are great on my road bike as i use them to go through town, which i a lot of stopping and starting. I think theyre easier to get in and out of.

If its pure road id stick with looks.
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    You can get cleat covers for your look cleats so that they are not as slippy to walk in, also I believe the latest Keo cleats have a rubber pad on them which is supposed to also make it easier to walk in.

I've had looks on my bikes for years I've had couple of slips, but I spend more time riding in them than I do walking so I dont really find it to much of a problem. But yes SPD's are definately easier to walk in, more practical in certain situations.
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    I have SPD SL pedal/cleats and these are like the Look's but have little rubber pads so walking is not too dangerous over very short distances.
  • Ruari
    Ruari Posts: 217
    fizz wrote:
    You can get cleat covers for your look cleats so that they are not as slippy to walk in, also I believe the latest Keo cleats have a rubber pad on them which is supposed to also make it easier to walk in.
    True, you can get LOOK cleat covers, but they're more for protecting the cleat than providing better traction. Also, the small rubber under the Keo cleat is for better cleat seating on the pedal, and can be removed. :)
    FCN 1
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    I use MTB SPD's partly because the shoes look fairly normal and are ok to walk in.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Look pedals are the best system in my opinion.
  • Ruari wrote:
    True, you can get LOOK cleat covers, but they're more for protecting the cleat than providing better traction. Also, the small rubber under the Keo cleat is for better cleat seating on the pedal, and can be removed. :)

the new LOOK cleats have rubber pads for walking on.

see here:

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/7756/groupID/4/categoryID/133/v/671fd778-29af-4f8e-af89-1520bb916532

i find look pedals great - really happy with them. they're not for walking in (although on a particularly bad day, i did 7 miles in them!) but then they're not designed for walking!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I use SPD-SLs, mainly because I was recommended them by a friend before I really knew anything about pedals.

I'm happy with them, and I probably would have been happy if I was recommended Time or Look pedals and had got them.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Gone through a few systems and prefer Time ATACS, kinder to my knees than SPD & SPD-SL and have never had an accidental release (unlike SPDs). I use them with MTB shoes on all my bikes now, a few grams heavier than road pedals and shoes but, as I don't race or anything, I'll take the benefits over any weight penalty.
  • Ruari
    Ruari Posts: 217

the new LOOK cleats have rubber pads for walking on.

see here:

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/7756/groupID/4/categoryID/133/v/671fd778-29af-4f8e-af89-1520bb916532
    Touche sir! I stand corrected... :oops: Might even get a pair... hmmm
    FCN 1
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Best pedal systems? It all depends on what you're intending to use them for. If you're racing then the Look et al type are fine. They're probably OK if once you get on your bike you continue riding until you get back home.

That's not what I do. My cycling involves touring/day rides/utility use which also means I want to be able to walk comfortably. Before clipless systems were introduced I had a pair of shoes with slotted shoe plates for racing, but I rarely used plates on my touring shoes because they were so inconvenient. So for me, the standard SPD system with recessed shoe plates is ideal. All my bikes and all my shoes are inter-compatible and I can look round a town, go sight-seeing, or shop, as well as ride with no problem. I've been using SPDs almost since their introduction and have covered many thousands of miles commuting and touring - they're brilliant.

I've recently bought some Shimano A520 semi-platform SPD pedals. They give good support and I find them very comfortable. I think they're the best road/touring SPD pedal I've ever used.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Gotte
    Thanks for the input.

So what are the downsides to SPD etc comparede with Looks, are they more difficult to get into/out of, or are they heavier, or is there no real difference? And if there is no difference, why do so many road bikes have Looks?
  • Gotte wrote:
    Thanks for the input.

So what are the downsides to SPD etc comparede with Looks, are they more difficult to get into/out of, or are they heavier, or is there no real difference? And if there is no difference, why do so many road bikes have Looks?

Look were first in the field of clipless back in the 80s, so I guess it's just that they acquired a lead over their competitors and a reputation which haven't evaporated completely down the years. From my own experience, apart from the inevitable issues with walking when off the bike, I've always found them easy to use, and the spare shoeplates are easy to come by. I currently use a variation on the Look pedal, the Miche 302 - also very good, but uses a slightly different shape of cleat (unfortunately hard to come by as spares) which I presume is to get round any patent infringement issues. For off-road, my personal recommendation would be Time ATACs, which are almost impossible to clog up whatever conditions a 'cross race throws at me [1]!

David

[1] Though last weekend's race threw up a rear-wheel puncture and an early journey home after 2 laps. The ATACs couldn't do anything about that :(
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • I've got Shimano PD-M520 SPD pedals on my training bike. They got a great review in Cycling plus a while back ( Best buy, if memory serves ), do what they do without fuss, and are cheap ( £15.99 at SJS Cycles ).

Chubby
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    I use Campagnolo which is an evolved version of the Look system. The pedals are lighter (half the weight of my old mid-range Look pedals) and I've never pulled a foot out of a Campag pedal due to wear on the cleat plate – something Look's cleats could be prone to doing if you were vigilant with replacements.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I kinda like the look of the Look Keo Sprint pedals - 260gm - and not too badly priced either.. I got a new bike yesterday and it was really light till I put on the cheapo shimano £20 pedals :roll: - Origionally was looking at the ultegra pedals but they are 320gm
    cartoon.jpg
  • Gotte
    Thanks for that. Are they adjustable?
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    yea they are
    * Model - Look Keo Sprint
    * Includes Shoe Plates
    * Weight - 260g (pair)
    * RRP £69.95
    * Sealed Cartridge Bearing Axle
    * Ultralite Alloy Body
    * Lightweight Durable Manufacture
    * Adjustable
    cartoon.jpg
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Complete Billy Basic question:

How easy is it to change pedals from SPD-SL to SPD?

(My bike engineering knowledge is pretty much at zero at the moment)

Reason for asking is I reckon SPD-SLs will be best for my own solo rides from home, but I'm also planning on going on a few rides with mates, none of whom are going to have clipless, and that will involve a number of stops and the odd wander on foot, for which SPDs would be more suitable....