A 'real' Century?

sean65
sean65 Posts: 104
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Hi All

Just wondering, apart from the 100 miles, what qualifies as a century.

For example - If I ride 50 miles down to the coast have lunch and ride home I'd say I'd ridden two half centuries as I'd broken the ride up.

Are real centuries measured as non stop rides?

Just curious before I start patting myself on the back for a century that I haven't ridden.

Comments

• ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    well IMO what you describe is a century ride. Don't think many people would do 100 miles without stopping for some sort of food stop. It may be just having a cereal bar at the side of the road or a couple of ham rolls and a cup of tea in a cafe.As long as it's completed in the same day and you don't go home mid ride to me it counts ok. Others may of course disagree. :lol:
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    In my book that's a century :D Well done
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    If I ride to work and then ride home again at night, that counts as two rides not one, because I'll have had a shower and got changed, done a day's work, had lunch, etc and then got changed back again to ride home : a second trip

So if you rode to the coast, had lunch, booked into a hotel for a few hours sleep, had tea and then rode home again, that might count as 2 x 50

But if all you do is stop for lunch in a caff and then ride back, that's fine, a Century - well done !
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    100 miles in a day is a century in my book (although 100 miles in 24 hours might not be).
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Course it counts Sean, don't be so hard on yourself!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,938
    How about a nights rest in between? :lol:
  • sean65
    sean65 Posts: 104
    Cool!

Not as tough as I thought. Have to start keeping tabs on my times. And maybe plan the ride with a serious tailwind. :wink: