clipless pedals how to unclip

ram038
ram038 Posts: 187
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
I have just bought my first pair of clipless pedals shimano 105. I fitted them today and as per instructions I decided to practice clipping and unclipping before goijng on the road. I have set them to the lowest resistance but found that no matter how hard I tried I could not unclip them. Am i exceptionally puny or what. Is there a way to loosen the clip more because as they are I will rip my friggin ankles off.

Comments

• I had the same problem with my latest set of SPDs. Once I applied a little oil to the contact points I found I could unclip without any trouble. They're still quite tight though compared to previous models. I think Shimano are using stronger springs than they use to.
  • The tension on 105 pedals isn't very high, so make sure it's on the lowest setting, not the highest, and just twist your foot outwards.
    One other possible problem may be your cleats. Make sure they are fixed to your shoes good and tight, if these are moving as you try to release, you'll get stuck.
  • I was told that putting some WD-40 on the pedals would make it easier to clip out.

I had the same problem as you. I was finding it hard to clip out when on the lowest tension. I haven't actually tried putting WD-40 on the pedals cus I kinda just got used to the tension, but maybe you should try it. :)
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I loosened mine right off, you may have turned them the wrong way!

Unclip with your leg straight and pedal at the bottom of it's travel
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Rich Hcp wrote:

I have to disagree with this advise.

After some of my own 'spd' related incidents, I have found that unclipping at the top of the stroke is a better idea. Firstly because the leg is bent it is easier to twist the ankle, and secondly because the other foot is at the bottom of the pedal stroke and will act as a counter balance.

Maybe worth a try as I wouldn't unclip any other way.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Rich Hcp wrote:

After some of my own 'spd' related incidents, I have found that unclipping at the top of the stroke is a better idea. Firstly because the leg is bent it is easier to twist the ankle, and secondly because the other foot is at the bottom of the pedal stroke and will act as a counter balance.

I always unclip with my foot at the top too. That way my weight is supported on the straight leg so the bent leg can easily be twisted. In my case it's always the left foot I unclip with my right foot at the bottom of the stroke.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    Rich Hcp wrote:
    I always unclip with my foot at the top too. That way my weight is supported on the straight leg so the bent leg can easily be twisted. In my case it's always the left foot I unclip with my right foot at the bottom of the stroke.
    Geoff

You don't do either if you ride fixed. You always unclip leaving the clipped-in foot in the 2 o-clock position, so it's ready to push off again. Even when I am on gears I still do it - so I am always ready to go.

BTW I agree with the above about checking that the cleats are really, really tight to the shoe, or they will simply move around rather than unclipping.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Blonde wrote:
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    Rich Hcp wrote:
    Geoff

You don't do either if you ride fixed. You always unclip leaving the clipped-in foot in the 2 o-clock position, so it's ready to push off again. Even when I am on gears I still do it - so I am always ready to go.

I also unclip with left foot at the top on road bike, think they obviously then rotate the pedal a bit after unclipping , to 2 o clock as you do with fixed :D
    I also unlcip left with fixed, but obviously with the wheel still turning, unclip it just as it gets close to top of stroke.
  • Make sure you're not lifting your heel, I kept getting stuck because of that. I always unclip at the top of the stroke too.

Clair
  • seconded. I used to have trouble because I was pulling up without realising it. Think about pushing your heel out and down.