sat nav for car and bike?

sloxam
sloxam Posts: 861
edited February 2008 in Tour & expedition
hi, i'll be changing jobs to a field based role soon and will probably get a sat nav but it would be good to get a waterproof one that i can mount on the bike too. any suggestions?
i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/

Comments

• The search for the holy grail continues...

So far I've drawn a blank on this one because when I drive, i want satellite navigatin whereas when I ride, the last thing I want is to be guided to the fastest road and what I really want is satellite mapping with downloadable routes.

The technology appears to be converging (Garmin 705 from one side, TomTom rider from the other) but I haven't seen anything that satisfies both needs out of the box yet. See further responses beneath for the contrived methods of joining up solutions downloaded from heathrobinson.com
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • I've a Garmin Quest which I bought for use in both the car and on the motorbike; maybe showing its age in terms of memory and gadgets, but its been terrific.

Its lightweight, water and shock proof and both battery & wired power, so it should be fine for the cycle too.

The only thing I've struggle with is finding a decent mount - on the motorbike, it fixes forward into the dash; the aerial sits at 90 degrees to the unit, so if the screen is "facing up" at you on a cycle then the aerial would be pointing ahead, rather than up.

Anyway :)

Seems to me that the Quest should be able to do bicycle and car, if only you can find a way to mount it on a cycle.

And then let me know so I can do it too...

Jon