Rivington

wheelbuckler
wheelbuckler Posts: 134
edited November 2011 in Routes
Anybody ride round Rivington?

Thinking of having a good bash it soon but not sure where to start. Anyone got any good starting points where I can park my car and go? Also does anyone one have any route maps or know a good link for routes in the area?

Comments

• Hey m8....

Got the helmet you tipped me about, well pleased with it for the price, fits well & will do nicely until i get more funds to upgrade.....

About your route search.......Ive been using Google Earth to look around my extremely flat area to get that "gods eye" view & to put together some trails, find some woods that are a little more isolated & that i can access.....Ive already marked out a ride for today in a wood i never even knew existed :shock: Just another tool to try & get the most out of my area as i had to sell my car & i cant get to better rides right now without it.... :roll:

hope its some use for you m8...
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    There a route description here.
  • Cheers for that link. Will try that one I think
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Was up at Rivington a couple of weeks ago. I'm always a bit disappointed with the size of the place, if you want to run a decent distance you have to get out of the park and up onto the moors behind. Having said that there was some very nice singletrack coming down from the tower.

You can park (for free) in the centre of the park at Great House Barn, there also a cafe there. Get there early, it was nearly full with ramblers at 9:15 when I got there. Oh yea, another word of warning Rivington is also popular with that other group trail lovers, ramblers, and I mean ramblers as in huge groups of people walking with ski poles (what's all that about?) blocking the path.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    Just seen this link posted on STW for some routes around Rivi. Inlcudes inages of maps and Memorymap routes, if you have this software.
  • wheelbuckler
    wheelbuckler
    Hello. I've just beenon a Mountain biking skils course in Rivington run by a company callled mtb instruction. The course took us all round all the routes and even incorpriated some of the 2002 Commonwealth Games route! it might be worth while emailijg them for a route guide or better still, book yourself on one of there courses, i found it to be a great day out and i learnt loads? the web site address is www.mtb-instruction.co.uk
  • a good way i have used to mountain bike up rivington is to use the small lane at the side near side of the high school (coming from horitch) whitch takes you a few 100 metes up the hill. once you meet the metal gate park on the side of the road and contiune on your bike up the hill when you meet a switchback a further 200 metes follow the switchbacks again and agian and soon you will find youself near the top of the winter gardens, the best downhilling rivington. :twisted:
  • steveo450
    steveo450 Posts: 26
    I was there on sunday. :D even carried the bike up the last steps to the very top.

Took a while to get up there but was back down in a flash. :D:D:D

The top:
    IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0001.jpg

The fort type structure at the top.
    IMAG0002.jpg

Took a wrong turn and ended up here on the way down.
    IMAG0005.jpg
    IMAG0006.jpg
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i am a rivington local who frequents the trails most weekends,

we are always happy to show fellow mtbers around as we did yestersday (sun) even if it was blowing a gale.

sat is normaly the best day it tends to be quiter as mentioned above sunday even early on is full of regatta wearing ski pole toting walkers and a holes on motor bikes who meet at the barn.

there a many places to park and ride from,

there a various trails to from xc to teccy down hill (nothing to major but still down hill)

let me know i will drop you my email add if you want to hook up.
  • I know that nobody has replied for about 4 years to this but I am in the process of making a webiste: http://rivingtonpike.com/
    We are looking for people to add content to the website such as walks, bike rides and photos, if you are interested please visit the website and follow the links to facebook and twitter on the top right of the home page, from there you can send us a message about adding content.
    Thanks