chain tension

Mark Alexander
Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
edited February 2008 in Road general
I'm begging you for help.
My chain is continually coming off as much as every 500m and I have tried tightening it. it refuses to stay there by the time I'v tightened the nuts, it's loose and jumps off I am really f***ed off. I bought it to commute and use around town I can't guarantee to get to work. I'm unable to use £700 worth of bike.
http://twitter.com/mgalex
www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business

Comments

• fraz167
    fraz167 Posts: 142
    Hi

Sounds like you need a set of chain tensioners, i can recommend these.

http://www.hubjub.co.uk/mks/mks.htm#ct

Fairly straight forward to use, fit and use to apply tension the chain then tighten track nuts as normal.

I had the same problem :D

Cheers

Fraser
  • fraz167
    fraz167 Posts: 142
    I think the problem is with a single speed or fixed

Cheers
    Fraser
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    IF it is unshipping within 500 METRES (I'm assuming not MILES), then chain tugs are surely only hiding whatever the real problem IS?

Either the axle is insufficiently tightened. Or the sprocket or (more likely) the ring is not true. Or I suppose the tension is too slack from the outset. I've never used tugs but the only time I've dropped a chain was when I had a warped front ring.

What is the rear drop out? Chromed and Ti have a tendency to allow slippage. What nuts are you using? Proper *%*& track nuts with serrated and moveable faces are best - with a BIG spanner!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Chainline could also be an issue here. I had similar probs on my SS when I was using a cassette sprocket whilst waiting for the overdue delivery of my SS Spacer kit, this was due to the smaller teeth profile of the sprocket.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    agreed. Something else is wrong or incorrectly set up. You haven't said whether the drivechain will not hold tension (wheel slipping), but going for maximum chain tension without addressing the real problem will cause you even greater problems, probably sooner rather than later.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • right I took it to my LBS. for an opinion and to swap pedals. :)
    I said i'd be back later.... :) and I was......

Alex (mechanic) had taken the wheel off to take a look and found that the axel was bent :shock: and the barings were well, buggered :?

I needed a new axle, bearings, and he added tensioner's. It's been running smoothly for 15 miles today and what a difference! :wink:
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    Good news. There's a lesson it that for most fixed riders.

BTW: any ideas on how/when the axle was bent?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption