When should I start to ride again??

sithebike
sithebike Posts: 213
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
I know this has been covered before but I cant find it!
I have had a cold for the last 2 weeks, it has left me with a nasty chesty cough that I cant seem to shift.
I haven't riden for 2 weeks, I was wondering whether I should go out or will this just make it worse?

Comments

• ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    IMHO consult your G.P he/she will know your physical condition better than anybody on the forum i would think. Greetings from Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    If you go out while your cold is still 'on your chest' it will very likely take longer to go (if you are lucky). If you are unlucky you could end up getting something much worse. I often continued training with a cold and ended up making myself quite ill. Eventually I got shingles and that stopped me training for 3 - 4 weeks (and there are still scars on my chest 2 years later). It's frustrating but you really need to rest up and wait for it to pass.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    ademort wrote:
    IMHO consult your G.P he/she will know your physical condition better than anybody on the forum i would think. Greetings from Ademort
    My GP is the last person I'd ask about such things. He knows feck all about my physical condition.

I went in unable to move with a bad back and he prescribed some ibuprofen. 9 months later and I'm diagnosed with a chuffing great puncture in one of my discs... :roll:
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    It is v frustrating but it is always best to wait till you really are FULLY recovered before bothering to ride again. It will only set you back for even longer or make you more vulnerable to the next viral infection that comes along. I had the flu at Xmas and it has taken a full month (five weeks) to shift the weak/tired after effects so I know the frustration. I haven't done my usual mileage since before Xmas but now I'm ready to ride again, the weather is conspiring against me as well!! Don't ride until you are really fit again. It's winter anyway - so you're not missing anything!
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Hi it,s hard to believe that so many people do not have a good word for there G.P is it a general thing in the U.K.On almost every thread that involves medical problems we have forum members who quote the g.p as the last person they would go to, or ask advice. Greetings Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Thanks for all the replies, I guess deep down I knew the answer but it is very frustrating. I am riding London to Paris over 3 days in July. So I just want to train as much as I can to make sure I am fit enough for the ride.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I've found at the end of a cold a short run to 'clear the tubes' has often helped

When you feel like it, try a short slow run to see how get on.

If your chest hurts at all go home!!

I also find a good hot curry the night before clears your sinus's (Only the sinus's, I'm lucky!)

But if it persists go to you GP you don't want pneumonia
    Richard

Giving it Large