Signs of a poor quality paint job?

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited February 2008 in Road general
Paint has flaked off my new frame I bought it in June 2007 built it up just before Christmas. It actually has only been ridden round the block twice on a clean dry road.

The paint has flaked off where the seat tube and down tube meet at the bottom bracket shell. Where the paint was there is meta. Coat looks very thin. The flake is about the size of a finger nail.

It's gone in a place where a stone chip would never reach.

Has anybody else experienced similar?

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Your Topic Title sounds spot on -- minus the question mark!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • GaryGkn
    I am actually upset.

Thinking of selling up.

Getting rid of the collection.

Replacing the lot with a custom Mercian?
  • Modern paint is nowhere near the quality of old paint. Blame the eco-nazis as they've stopped the paint companies from using lead and cancer causing compounds.

Learn to live withit, or buy a Ti machine :wink:
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Cheer up Gary. My Brother had a new 7ft fish tank delivered on Saturday .Between him and the delivery man they dropped it :shock: :cry: So what's a chip of paint.$h*t happens :!: :!: :!:
    bagpuss
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I do hope that there were no fish in it...
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • GaryGkn
    You guys are right but I am going to check that there is primer on the tubes as also as I have n't really ridden it at all I don't want all the paint to just fall off when I use it to commute in the spring and summer! Sorry to hear about the fish tank. i don't think I like modern times! The old Dawes finish was the best ofor a work horse or tourer.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    my bob jackson and my condor are flaky as an old lady's knickers.
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    Gary the Dawes finish you mentioned could well be the "ard as nails" finish. Is there a decal saying that? Sorry to hear about your flaky bits.
  • GaryGkn
    It's not too bad. I will get some touch up paint. Thanks for everyones kind words. I feel bad about the the fish tank now!