Rear racks

yorkshireraw
yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
edited February 2008 in Tour & expedition
Evening all,

just got a Giant SCR2 - first road bike, primarily for fitness to aid running (and avoid injury hopefully). Enjoying getting out for the miles. Am planning to go on a week or so tour later this year with a few others . The Giant has come with eyelets in the frame - has anyone fitted a rack to one of these? (think the SCR3 is the same frame)? The eyelets seem a bit close to the rear brake so not sure if they're just for mudguards.

Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Evening all,

just got a Giant SCR2 - first road bike, primarily for fitness to aid running (and avoid injury hopefully). Enjoying getting out for the miles. Am planning to go on a week or so tour later this year with a few others . The Giant has come with eyelets in the frame - has anyone fitted a rack to one of these? (think the SCR3 is the same frame)? The eyelets seem a bit close to the rear brake so not sure if they're just for mudguards.

I'll be watching this one with interest - I've almost decided to get an SCR2 but want to know about mudguard clearances and rear racks. I've not actually seen a fully fitted SCR2.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Mudguard eyelets are found bythe rear axle. If these are close to the brakes on the stays then they are for mudguards.

ALmost any standard 4 point fitting rack should fit....
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Cunobelin wrote:
    Mudguard eyelets are found bythe rear axle. If these are close to the brakes on the stays then they are for mudguards.

ALmost any standard 4 point fitting rack should fit....

thanks - will have to see if i can borrow a rack to see if it fits, before purchase.
  • I was in LBS this morning and had a good look at an SCR 1.5. There are mudgaurd eyes on both dropouts and rack eyes at the top of the seat stays.
  • I was in LBS this morning and had a good look at an SCR 1.5. There are mudgaurd eyes on both dropouts and rack eyes at the top of the seat stays.

I wasn't sure whether a rack would go past the rear brake, as the eyes seem right behind the brake.
  • The rack I bought (from a raleigh dealer) has adjustable stays that have a double right angle bend in them - will go inside or outside the seat stays.

sounds complicated. Imagine riding along a straight road; turn left then almost immeadiately turn right.
  • I have a fully fitted SCR2, and it is fine - quite fetching, surprisingly. I've fitted silver SKS chromoplastic full-length mudguards, and an aluminium Tortec Tour Ultralite rack - no problems with clearance, fitting, etc. But I do ride with 23mm tyres, I don't know what it would be like with 28mm for example.

I came to guards and racks quite reluctantly. The SCR2 is a beautiful looking bike "naked", and I rode it this way (with a backpack) for months. But the instant coating of winter road grime (on both me and the bike) eventually persuaded me to fit the guards, and the sweaty back brought on the rack. But now they are on, the bike still looks very elegant, just in a slightly different way.

I reckon silver-coloured fittings work better than black for this bike...
    White Condor Italia 2011
    FCN 3
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    I've been using this seatpost collar with fittings for a rack, and it's been fine. Be careful to get the right diameter (I've forgotten which one the SCR takes).
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    M-Part do a similar seatpost clamp with rack mounts, though it sounds like you may not be needing one.

mpart%20spt102.jpg
  • good stuff guys, thanks for everyones responses. just need to work out now why my indexing on the rear mech went out of sync yesterday!
  • chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    Evening all,

Good choice :D Collected mine on Tuesday

I was led to believe it will take rack and guards
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'