I'm an accidental roadie!

jam1e
jam1e Posts: 1,068
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Today, whilst buying some new mountain bike shoes I accidently bought a specialized langster which had been discounted to £225 cos of a miniscule chip in the paint on the top tube.

I assume its possible to ft a flat bar but whats the score with changing the brake levers to mtb style not the drop type? I apologise for my complete ignorance on this subject!

Cheers!

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    jam1e wrote:
    I assume its possible to ft a flat bar but whats the score with changing the brake levers to mtb style not the drop type? I apologise for my complete ignorance on this subject!

Why would you want to wreck a perfectly good bike like that?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • jam1e
    because if i dont i will immediately fall over the handlebars and run myself over - that position is unnatural and against gods will! To be honest i just want to break myself in gently and use it as a kinda commuter/shop run type thing as well.
  • redddraggon
    jam1e wrote:
    because if i dont i will immediately fall over the handlebars and run myself over

huh?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • jam1e
    leaning that far forward into the drop bars - feels weird.
  • redddraggon
    jam1e wrote:

Drops are better than flat bars, you'll quickly learn that if you stick with them.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    I went from riding an Epic to riding a road bike. Never turned back.

Don't even think about removing the handlebars :twisted: It'll seem like a perfectly natural thing within say 2 miles :P + there are more positions to get comfortable on.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I don't know how anyone can ride more than a couple of miles on flat bars, they are so uncomfortable.
  • jam1e wrote:

Learn to ride on the brake hoods like the rest of us! - not so far forwards as being in the hooks of the drops!
  • Yes it is all possible flat bars, etc.

I to am an accidental roadie accidently bought a Trek 1000 instead of slicks for my mountain bike commuter, as you do an easy mistake. I to found that i felt like i was falling off the front of the bike however with it having aheadset stem i flipped it over to give it a more positive rise and that solved it for me.

Worth try as it'll be free

But in the end its your bike you do what you want to make it comfortable to you.
  • ergle
    ergle Posts: 2
    In the 90's I had a touring bike with drop handlebars and "suicide levers", so called because although they provide a means of operating the brakes from the tops, they were cr*p in an emergency. But, they did provide a means of operating the brakes from the tops, for me a riding position I use quite a lot.

How about fitting those little intermediate levers that sit on the flat part of the bars, usually on cylecross type bikes? As they work directly on the cable they are as effective as the conventional drop handlebar brakes, and mean that you can brake from either riding position.