Short Tour round Lake District - Summer 2008

Snails Lace
Snails Lace Posts: 5
edited February 2008 in Tour & expedition
Can anyone recommend a route for a short tour round the Lakes? Start and finish from Oxenholme (Kendal) - train - and then taking in a few of the Lakes - camping (preferably near some good pubs) on the Lake sides would be great. 80 miles per day ish for about 3 or 4 days.

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    Take a look at http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/localrides/index.htm, though I've got to say that multiple 80 mile days in the Lake District is in my book, brave!

Enjoy. I've done plenty of miles there, and it's tough, but fantastic riding.
  • Thanks for that. Looking at the route profiles maybe 80 is very optimistic!!.Also don't want to make it too hard a slog - supposed to be reasonably relaxed with as much emphasis on the r & r and stop and view as the riding.
  • yer gran
    yer gran Posts: 186
    I did a multi-day ride a couple of years back which went from Oxenholme to Wast Water via Wrynose and Hardknott Passes. Stayed on the campsite at Wasdale Head by the pub. Theres a Nat. Trust campsite 1/2 mile back down the road which has showers. Had a 'site full' sign at the entrance, but I've since learned that they have a policy of still accommodating walkers and cyclists.
    Wast Water to Buttermere via Gosforth, A595 to Calder Bridge; right turn at church over Cold Fell to Ennerdale Bridge; past Loweswater joining B5289 to Buttermere.
    Lovely campsite adjacent to lake and pub.
    Buttermere to Ambleside via Honister Pass through Borrowdale Valley, along Derwent Water to Keswick. A591 with quiet road alternative around Thirlmere to Ambleside. Campsite at Low Wray (NW corner of Windermere; Nat. Trust)
    Ambleside to Oxenholme via Hawkshead through Grizedale Forest to Satterthwaite. On to Newby Bridge (southern tip of Windermere) NE to Crosthwaite, Underbarrow and Oxenholme.
    This route worked out to around 50-60 miles a day and left plenty of time for interesting detours, lazy lunches and a couple of hours on/in the water.
    Have fun.
  • Thanks for the post - sounds just the type of tour we are looking for. Know the campsite (and pub)at Wasdale Head well - lovely part of the Lakes (close to Black Sail pass I seem to remember). A few good passes/hills in there as well so sounds ideal

Thanks again
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thanks for the post - sounds just the type of tour we are looking for. Know the campsite (and pub)at Wasdale Head well - lovely part of the Lakes (close to Black Sail pass I seem to remember). A few good passes/hills in there as well so sounds ideal

Thanks again

Have you ever cycled the Lake Passes before?

Its just I've never seen such a easygoin attitude to whats i'd say is one of the toughest and steepest cycling araes in the entire civilised world...are you doing them on motorbikes :wink:
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    Snails Lace - Some nice routes there from 'yer gran'.

If I could just offer an 'option' to the Buttermere-Ambleside route.

Buttermere-Honister-down to Grange and then over the bridge at Grange (at the start of Derwentwater), take the road around the back of Derwentwater - very quiet road, *much* nicer than the rough pothole strewn bit from Grange to Keswick. The views from up there looking down on Derwentwater are tremendous ('chocloate box' Lakes views), then down to Portinscale and back to Keswick. Take the main drag out of Keswick toward Thrilmere/Grasmere, but just as you start the slog proper at the first S bends, there's a road that goes up to the left to CastelRigg Stone Circle. A much nicer climb again on very quiet roads. Castlerigg Stone Circle again has fantastic views all around (Skiddaw, Blencathra, The Dodds, Helvellyn). You really shouldn't miss this. Drop down from there into St Johns in the Vale and carry on to rejoin the main road (before you reach the main road there is a right you can take which brings you out opposite the North end of Thirlmere, sraight across the main road is the road which takes you back down the west side of Thirlmere - again, very quiet, you'll be unlucky to see more than a few cars on it.). If you miss this and hit the main road at the end of St Johns in the Vale, turn right (as if back to Keswick) and you'll see the left turn off after about half a mile for the quiet road around Thirlmere. Maybe consider going into Grasmere and out the back over Red Bank (if you haven't had enough 25% hills for the day ;-)
    Altenatively, take the Under Loughrigg road by the River Rothay (just past Rydal Water) and that brings you out near Clappersgate. Over the hump back bridge and you're back in Ambleside.

Hope you have a great time.

Cheeers... Allan
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • Thanks Allan - sounds good. And thanks for the note of caution Richyboy. However rest assured I am not that easy going about this at all. Having been up Black Sail Pass and Scarth Gap Pass on foot and Honister Pass on a "smoking" clutch understand its certainly going to be tough. As its as much an r&r tour as pass bagging we will be very cautious about what we try to do.

Thanks all for some good advice about both route choice and what we may expect - will let you know how it went after the event (and if we had to resort to motorbikes :) )