This years legbreaker

stevec205gti
stevec205gti Posts: 366
I'm thinking of doing this, mainly because my sister lives in Leek and I love cycling around the area.

So a question to local riders who know the route - how do the climbs compare to Thorncliff bank out of Leek up to the Mermaid. I can make it most of the way up it, but stopped on the final rise after the double bends half way up (this happened both times I tried it in the about the same place). I need to know if I need to fork out for a compact chainset or not - I was climbing it on 39x25. I'd prefer not to spend the money, but if a lot of the climbs are of a similar pain level I may have to!
Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???

Comments

• Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    The two comparable climbs for steepness are the hill after Hollinsclough and the climb up to Stanton. However the road at Stanton has been washed out so there may have to be a change to the route here. The Hollinsclough climb is longer so is the most like Thorncliffe Bank, in fact if anything it's harder.

I used a compact 34x25 last year.

There are plenty of other hills too. See you there!
  • trio25
    trio25 Posts: 300
    I did the short route last year and loved it. It was my first long road ride and I found the hills hard but I met someone who had done the route on a normal double. I suppose it depends how good at hill climbing you are.
  • MarcB
    MarcB Posts: 46
    edited February 2008
    I would definitely use a compact if you are struggling with Thorncliffe.
    Lots of the climbs are as steep as the bit of Thorncliffe after the bends and about the same length e.g. short and steep.

The other consideration is that the course of the Legbreaker wears you down, so climbs that would be quite easy at the start can be a right pain near the end.

And it will make it more enjoyable :lol: if you aren't struggling up every little, nagging, never ending series of climbs -that's why we called it the Legbreaker.
  • Johnny G wrote:
    The two comparable climbs for steepness are the hill after Hollinsclough and the climb up to Stanton. However the road at Stanton has been washed out so there may have to be a change to the route here. The Hollinsclough climb is longer so is the most like Thorncliffe Bank, in fact if anything it's harder.

Spot on. I would also add the climb out of the Manifold Valley which really ramps up after the right hand bend. But it's the number as well as the steepness of the climbs which makes the Legbreaker such a challenge. Invest in a compact. Your legs will thank you for it :D
  • Jashin
    Jashin Posts: 164
    Just go for a compact if you think you'll struggle. Of all the sportives I roded last year, the Legbreaker was the best route and one of the best organized. Hoping to improve my time this year as well, although I was pretty pleased with 15th fastest in the long route last year. And yes, I'm well aware that it's a sportive and not a race.
  • Looks like I'll get saving some pennies then - living near Cambridge there aren't many hills to practice on!!!
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    thetrotter wrote:
    I would also add the climb out of the Manifold Valley which really ramps up after the right hand bend.

Agreed. I forgot about this one. Also the first half of this climb is in the shade so the surface dries slowly after rain and you can get rear wheel spin as you try to honk! Wasn't a problem the first year, but last year the road had stayed wet.
  • rampax
    rampax Posts: 139
    I did the short route last year, and I used a triple.
    There was only one climb that I had to climb off on.
    It went up fairly steeply under trees for some time, then turned a hairpin right and went MUCH steeper. The road was narrow, and cars didnt know what to do, so everyone ground to a halt.
    Im not kidding myself though - I wouldnt have got up it anyway!
    For me, that was the only "killa" individual climb - its just the relentless up and down that gets you. There were no flat sections anywhere.
    Most of the people there were on compacts. I like to sit down and grind it out.

Great event, well organised, superb food.
    The A6 Hazel Grove - "Always the worst part of any ride".
  • rampax wrote:
    I did the short route last year, and I used a triple.
    There was only one climb that I had to climb off on.
    It went up fairly steeply under trees for some time, then turned a hairpin right and went MUCH steeper. The road was narrow, and cars didnt know what to do, so everyone ground to a halt.
    Great event, well organised, superb food.

If it was just after a very steep descent, then that's the one out of the Manifold Valley (and believe me it's the easier of the two climbs up that side of the Valley!). Agree with your last sentence. :D