Who's been out in the Severe Weather then?

tardington
tardington Posts: 1,379
edited February 2008 in Commuting chat
Well we've had warnings and everything up here in Scotland!

At half seven this morning I was flayed with pointy hail, ow! When I put my head down it went in the vents of my helmet and stung my head - then the vents filled up with slowly melting hail :shock: Luckily I had a skull cap in my back pocket, but my head was fair frozen!

Then the roads were covered in a good centimetre of slush - by that point I was onto a proper cycle path so that was okay! I did see a moped fall over later on though, at some lights. A car whose way was blocked tooted his horn at the poor bugger as he painfully hauled his moped off the road, assisted by a wee old lady!

Had to head out to the main office (ten miles or so) in light rain, and into the strong winds, which was a bugger, as it's mostly up hill too, but the way back! :D:D:D The rain had stopped and the lovely gale force winds were right behind me 8) I was keeping up with the cars in the 40mph stretch no problem.

Home for tea and biscuits. I should really put new brake blocks on, but I reckon I'm on golden time as for the first time in ages I remembered to lube the chain etc when I got in. :D

Comments

• Luckily the hail arrived yesterday after I was safely tucked up behind my desk. It was fun on the way in though - anticipating gusts that blew through gaps in the hedge - pity the drivers behind didn't appreciate the effects of the side wind on me!

Sunny outside now and only 90 mins to go so hopefully I'll miss out on the snow that may or may not arrive. Funny you mention brake pads - I'm fitting new ones this weekend too...mega expensive Swissstop green ones
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Well the snow's started coming down, getting home tonight is gonna be interesting to say the least.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Here in South Wales, we've been told all week to expect snow, hopefully it's passed us by, but the temperature, as I speak is dropping fast, and the cloud is thickening. I've been reading blogs from USA, i.e., mnbicyclecommuter, and up in alaska, which talk about snowbiking, very interesting, but I'm not ready for it yet. All those of you, who have the white stuff already--- Good Luck.
    k.curtis
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Had a very nice ride home in sunny Surrey tonight! Weather report for tomorrow not looking too bad either.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I wimped out and got the bus to work today.......wished I hadn't though, it takes nearly twice aslong.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Rode it yesterday, was wet and windy - but with the right gear it's no problem.

today was fine for riding though.
  • cycled to work yesterday, along the cliffs near dover, got the train back after work, very strong winds indead!

“I kill monsters and zombies with infeasibly large plasma-based weaponry”