Anybody else desire the Garmin Edge 705?

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited April 2008 in Commuting chat
First thing for quite a long time I've wanted so much, not out yet though.

Anybody else?

rf-lg.jpg

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=10885

Comments

• johnnyc71
    johnnyc71 Posts: 178
    I will wait until I read a few reviews - but yes I want one too!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Oh yes, had my eye on one of those for ages, damn the delays I want one now!
  • Not really - I wanted a high-end cycle computer and got that in the Edge 305. That said, the announcement of the 705 has driven the RRP of the 305 down nicely!
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Out at the end of this month I believe...

I could well be tempted to upgrade my Forerunner 305 for one of these.....
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Available very soon prices from €499. Greetings Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    Mmmmnnnn 705........., want one!!

Don't really get the iPhone/sat nav gadgety thing but this one does!
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I would love one. That way i could cycle down road i don't know and not get lost.

I got the 205 the other week very cheap £89.97 from halfords and am impressed with it
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    It appears that this the same limitations of software compatibility and lack of OS grid references as the rest of the edge series.....

I will stick to the Edge 305 for commuting and training and the Etrex for touring....
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • prj45
    Ashley_R wrote:
    Mmmmnnnn 705........., want one!!

Don't really get the iPhone/sat nav gadgety thing but this one does!

Strangly neither do I, I've spent a lifetime in IT and still find people that get excited over such gadgets weird...

Ooops, that'll be me then.

*cough* I didn't desire an iPod or iPhone at least.
  • Got mine on order ... and just sold my old GPS 60. Am looking forward to it!!

Anyway, dabs.com are doing this, after a £20 rebate (which they offer during ordering) for £263.49 inc VAT + P&P.

This is for the Garmin Edge 705 HR + CAD ... so it's about £100 less than elsewhere from what I can tell.
  • Can you explain how the Edge 705 works. Do you input postcodes or coodinates? I am planning to cycle from E6 to Cambridge so will this device find the best route for me? I am used to my Tomtom so I was wondering whether the Edge works the same.
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    I like it, but don't really know why. 99% of my cycling is the same commuting route, yet somehow this still tempts me. I like the idea of being able to race myself to work, i think!
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I have a Garmin eTrex Vista Cx for use on the bike, mostly when I'm going to unusual places I don't know. It's pretty good, though like all GPSs you have to pay close attention to the auto-routing. Mine last sent me through 5 miles of unlit country lanes and a slightly longer route, I'd forgotten to change the autorouting settings from car and fastest route. Oops!
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    This is where I miss out, Im a pure utility cyclist, I cycle only for transport. I go from a to b, in nearly a year of cycle commuting I still havent taken one single leisure ride! I always know my way to any destination Im going to by bike, just have no need of this sort of thing, in fact my cheapy normal cycle computer was removed, just took up space and never got used...

Now if I was a cyclist who went out for long long rides for fun Id be wanting one for sure :D
  • BentMikey
    I'm sorry to disillusion you, but most of my GPS rides are for utility cycling also. I rarely get the chance to ride purely for my own pleasure.
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    My geko 301 failed the other week :( (I changed from 28c to 25c tyres were the vibrations too much :?: ) so I'm thinking of getting a new GPS. I'm tempted by the 705 but I couldn't afford it just now, so I might just go for a 305.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Okay, I understand there is not OS mapping, but does the mapping "know" of non-road routes such as dedicated cycle paths and bridleways?
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    BentMikey wrote:
    I'm sorry to disillusion you, but most of my GPS rides are for utility cycling also. I rarely get the chance to ride purely for my own pleasure.

Im guessing your work takes you to varied destinations? perhaps outside of your local area?

Theres 3 towns here that im likely to visit all of which I know like the back of my hands having lived here for 30 years. Anywhere outside of those 3 towns Im unlikely to cycle to...

I like gadgets, I love plugging my helmet into my computer when I get home from work, I think it would be cool to let your bike computer find you a route to 127.0.0.1 But anywhere Im likely to cycle Im likely to know the best way already :(.
  • prj45
    alfablue wrote:
    Okay, I understand there is not OS mapping, but does the mapping "know" of non-road routes such as dedicated cycle paths and bridleways?

Not the road maps that come with it, but I think the topo maps do. Have a browse!

http://www.garmin.com/cgi-bin/mapgen/we ... 0&k=1&sc=1

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topogb.jsp
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Thanks prj

The mapping looks really good - certainly in terms of contours. I can see paths are marked (unfortunately with no distinction between types), I wonder if the unit will navigate you along these (i.e. does it work like a car sat nav identifying such routes, or I wonder if it is only achieved by plotting waypoints). On the Topo map page it does say it will plan point to point routes on roads, I wonder if roads includes paths in this sense.

For example, last year I toured the Celtic Trail, a good proportion is on paths (very good ones), I wonder if the 705 would be an easy to use companion or whether it would take masses of data entry and planning before hand.
  • Totalnewbie
    Totalnewbie Posts: 932
    I'm quite capable of getting lost while utility cycling, managed it a fair few times, owing to my sense of direction being utterly rubbish. It is a bit of a barrier to cycling to places I don't know, as I have to keep stopping and looking at the map every 5 mins, unless the journey is incredibly simple.
  • BentMikey
    Nice one David! Unfortunately I'm in London, and that's a big place to get to know well. I've learnt the most from just riding around in the last 5 years, but there are still plenty of times when a GPS is very useful!
  • Totalnewbie
    Exactly BM, although I feel ashamed to admit it considering I'm London born and have always lived here, I can still get lost!
  • prj45
    alfablue wrote:
    Thanks prj

The mapping looks really good - certainly in terms of contours. I can see paths are marked (unfortunately with no distinction between types), I wonder if the unit will navigate you along these (i.e. does it work like a car sat nav identifying such routes, or I wonder if it is only achieved by plotting waypoints). On the Topo map page it does say it will plan point to point routes on roads, I wonder if roads includes paths in this sense.

For example, last year I toured the Celtic Trail, a good proportion is on paths (very good ones), I wonder if the 705 would be an easy to use companion or whether it would take masses of data entry and planning before hand.

FYI The topo maps don't come with the unit, you get the standard road map and have to purchase the topo on a micro SD card, which is £127.00 (!).

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1359&pvID=2646

Here's the manual, check out the routing options in the settings section on page 54: -

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/Edge605_OwnersManual.pdf

However, I suspect if you're wanting to follow trails then I some pre planning would be necessary, just like with a satnav in your car, I wouldn't totally trust it, but then sometimes I do and it been a revelation, apart from the time I had to change into my walking boots and wade through quite a long ford in the dark with a stick to check it was passable, but then that was quite good fun too come to think of it.
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Some versions come with a map for less than the price of the add-on.

http://www.ultimatepursuits.co.uk/searc ... uct=garmin

and

http://www.ultimatepursuits.co.uk/searc ... uct=garmin
  • 30x25
    30x25 Posts: 2
    Does anyone who has bought a 705 know whether it displays gradients (as the 305 does)?
    Just waiting for stock to arrive. :(
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'm quite capable of getting lost while utility cycling, managed it a fair few times, owing to my sense of direction being utterly rubbish. It is a bit of a barrier to cycling to places I don't know, as I have to keep stopping and looking at the map every 5 mins, unless the journey is incredibly simple.

Bus stops are your friend... they tell you where you're heading and some have maps as well

as long as you don't live in the @rse end of nowhere of course
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • http://www.mapomatic.net/

These guys are working on OSM maps for the Garmin ... hopefully TOPO coming soon.
  • Totalnewbie
    Clever Pun wrote:

Bus stops are your friend... they tell you where you're heading and some have maps as well

as long as you don't live in the @rse end of nowhere of course

Ah yes, I have used the old bus-stop trick many a time. Doesn't stop me wanting gadgety things though...maybe I'll treat myself one day.
  • BentMikey
    Now that I have a Nokia E90, I'm always carrying GPS if I get lost. It's a nice backup if I'm not using my Garmin and I get lost.

That bus stop idea is pretty clever, I never thought of that. Before I had GPS I used to carry a small a-z. Used to be quite annoying having to stop to look up my location and find out where I needed to go.