Wet and Windy Commute Today -Nighvision jacket saves the day

Fuzz Monkey Five
Fuzz Monkey Five Posts: 194
edited March 2008 in Commuting chat
My usual commute along the Torquay seafront was very wet and windy with all that rain and wind - but my ALTURA NIGHTVISION jacket was just superb and I had no problems at all.

Also got one of those Nike hats that goes under my helmet, great for keeping head dry and warm,.

Did see one regular commuter today, old guy who always rides in his shirt, tie and trousers, today he had a waterproof coat on and an orange Sainsburys carrier bag wrapped over each foot, I'll try and get a picture next time

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Im waiting for a post now called '2 orange sainsburys bags wrapped over my feet save the day!'
    A wait with anticipation for the pictures.

But i also am a night vision lover. Mines only supposed to be windproof (see here - http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/products.php?plid=m10b8s139p238&rs=gb), but ive washed it about a thousand times and it always keeps me warm and dry.
    Only problem is after 6 months abuse on every trail in leeds and a 3x a week trip to halifax the zips started to go. Best jacket ive ever had though.
  • It was hilarious looking at him, I almost got wiped out by a bus taking a second look at him.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I'm eyeing up an altura waterproof.

Anybody know if the XXX large fit would suit somebody who's 6'4", I'm primarily concerend about it riding up my back and exposing my bum crack when I bend, like most of my t shirts do.

Is breathability OK?

Also, anybody know where the altura web site is? Wiggle is a little light on measurements for this item.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    prj45 wrote:
    I'm primarily concerend about it riding up my back and exposing my bum crack when I bend, like most of my t shirts do.

Wear some bib shorts or bib tights then.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    prj45 wrote:
    I'm primarily concerend about it riding up my back and exposing my bum crack when I bend, like most of my t shirts do.

Wear some bib shorts or bib tights then.

Ah, yeah, but I still don't like the "my jacket's to short for me and here's too much of my arse" look.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    My usual commute along the Torquay seafront was very wet and windy with all that rain and wind - but my ALTURA NIGHTVISION jacket was just superb and I had no problems at all.

Also got one of those Nike hats that goes under my helmet, great for keeping head dry and warm,.

You dont happen to buy your gear at bikin motion in Torquay do you??

Sounds like their regular stock :lol: Its the same kit I buy :D
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    prj45 wrote:
    Is breathability OK?
    Whilst it claims to be breathable it really isn't that great. Still can't complain though cos it keeps the rain off admirably.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • DavidTQ wrote:

Nope, I prefer Simply The Bike and also The Bike Shed in Exeter.

I refuse to go into Bikin’ Motion as I had a run in with the blonde kid who works there when he was out driving his purple Land Rover

Nice to see another TQ rider on here.
  • DavidTQ
    Ive only been in simply the bike once and the guy didnt seem to have much to with road bikes so Ive not really been back and its on the other side of town from me - Im lazy :D odd for someone who cycles 14 miles a day, but somehow going that bit further seems like too much effort :lol:

I know the kid you mean and his landrover, I have vague memories of being disconcerted by his manouvering and parking decisions once cant remember specifics though. Although he did seem pretty good with the bike mechanicals. They do seem pretty keen to sell you what they have in, rather than what you want...

I keep meaning to have a go at stentifords hill, now Ive got a helmet cam :D
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...Night Vision jackets are the best...I also have some Night Vision gloves...high viz and waterproof...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • I really can't fault the Nightvision jacket, (watchout for the waterproof version vs the windproof version though), for a daily 6 mile (each way) commute it does the job at keeping me dry and breathable, its nice and warm in the winter and I use it at weekends when off road in the winter.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The sizing isnt so much to do with length but chest size, or how fat you are. The back ends are extended anyway
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    prj45 wrote:

Anybody know if the XXX large fit would suit somebody who's 6'4", I'm primarily concerend about it riding up my back and exposing my bum crack when I bend, like most of my t shirts do.

Is breathability OK?

Also, anybody know where the altura web site is? Wiggle is a little light on measurements for this item.

I'm 6ft 4 and about 13st and have the nightvision in medium, fits fine. Had the large originally but was too baggy and sold it to a friend

Neither size seemed a problem re the rear length

Really does the job for daily commute and in grey it doubles up as decent smartish jacket to wear at work without looking like a council dustman like some jackets!
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • JST
    JST Posts: 158
    DavidTQ wrote:

Nope, I prefer Simply The Bike and also The Bike Shed in Exeter.

I refuse to go into Bikin’ Motion as I had a run in with the blonde kid who works there when he was out driving his purple Land Rover

Nice to see another TQ rider on here.

Where do you guys commute to/from in Torquay then? Maybe we pass... I go from Kingsteignton to Torquay a few times a week as somedays I need the car for work...

On the bike shop front I have only been to the Torquay shops a few times but found Simply the bike not v. helpful on the road side and very small stock of clothes. Bikin Motion , only bought tubes from them, seemed a very small shop and the guy was busy with others so couldn't chat. Colin Lewis in Paignton has been very helpful and is more road than any others. Partridge Cycles on the A38 has a good stock of most stuff and larger range of clothing than others but I guess are more suited to family cycling stuff. Hot pursuit in Totnes and Kingsteignton are always helpful and friendly but not much road stuff. I haven't been in Green Machine in Kingsteignton yet :lol:

Also do you guys know anything about the local clubs - MDCC and BikinMotion? I fancy trying a club ride a bit later in the year once I am a little fitter/faster!

A bit off topic - sorry, although I do have an Altura night vision jacket which has been good!!

Cheers, James.
  • DavidTQ
    I go Torquay to Newton Abbot Mon - Thursday but I leave Torquay 7:30 and Newton Abbot at 16:30 I go via The front roads so probably same route opposite direction unless you're really brave and use the back roads...

Im fairly easy to spot, Ive got a camera attached to my helmet which stands out a mile, but as Im at work for 8 instead of 9 I would probably not be running the same time as most people.

I ride this bike with a pannier on the right hand side:-

SCR1.jpg

My helmet cam looks like this:-

helmetcam001.jpg
  • JST
    JST Posts: 158
    I'll keep an eye out for you in the morning then as the timing looks about right for us to pass at some point near Newton. So if you see some loon waving from the other side of the road it may be me :lol: