Pro cycle manager game?

ARob
ARob Posts: 143
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
this game sounds like a a bit of fun but the reviews on amazon are somewhat dodgy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tour-France-200 ... XA5TDKDFBC

some suggest that it has so many bugs its unplayable, but these are quite old.

has anyone played this and if so is it any good and are the bugs fixed?

(probably will get fitter going out on a real bike but hey its cold and dark :roll: )

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My dad plays it alot. I never understood it.
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    It's the only game I own. The information on the courses and the riders is amazingly accurate. I was surprised, but it's a really good way to get to know the various races and which riders are best at them.

The original release is full of bugs, but there's patches available somewhere (try google) and then it works fine.

Gameplay is fairly simple, just some basic cycling tactics. There's a management mode, but that's quite dull.
  • I play it onthe weans PSP, passes an hour away on the commute most days. He's not happy right enough as he can never find his PSP. I tell him to tidy his room up and he might find it knowing only too well its sat in my work bag
    The beer always wins
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    paul_bhoy wrote:
    I play it onthe weans PSP, passes an hour away on the commute most days. He's not happy right enough as he can never find his PSP. I tell him to tidy his room up and he might find it knowing only too well its sat in my work bag

that's outragous! :shock: - but i kind of know where you're coming from... :roll: :twisted:
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    paul_bhoy wrote:
    I play it onthe weans PSP, passes an hour away on the commute most days. He's not happy right enough as he can never find his PSP. I tell him to tidy his room up and he might find it knowing only too well its sat in my work bag

I've got it for the PSP too, I find it a good game and very addictive, but probably doesn't have the detail in depth of the PC version. It's a bit too easy to win races in beginner mode, but a bit more difficult at the other levels.

Still can't master time trialling or sprint finishes (keep getting blocked in) though!!
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    The PC game is good for fans of cycling, although the most recent version was a poor effort relative to the previous year (some of the enhancements were exactly the opposite). Rider AI isn't amazing, but you can still have fun with it. Talk about the 2008 version (due just before the Tour - sometime in June) has already started. I believe there is a new 3D engine coming, enhanced scouting and various other enhancements. For a few months worth of play I'd say give it a go, but keep your eyes peeled for the 2008 version too.
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    i bought this game (in Montpelier last year at the start of the tour stage - wondered why Rasmussen was surrounded by police and photographers...another story).

Anyway really wanted to like the game, but found the graphics engine awful. The time trial in stage 1 is supposedly to represent London landmakrs. for anyone who has been familiar with computer games for the past decade, this software is from the ark. The £D representations reminded me on the Commodore 64 or some other game we put up with in the early 90's. OK the strategy element of running the team (and it is entitled Pro Cycling Manager) may be great and absorbing, but i could not get over how bad the real time race graphics were.

Really wanted to like the game.
  • I got Pro Cycling Manager 2007 for Christmas and it plays havoc with my PC.
    When I switch from Motorbike to Chopper camera etc etc the screen locks out :cry:
    I'm desperate to like the game but it drives me mad.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    Not the best unfortunately. The graphics are really resource hungry and the game crashed for me after one season.

As a cycling fan I suppose you might put up with such things but it could do so much better.