What grease to buy? Which is the best?

jobow79
jobow79 Posts: 15
edited February 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Having purchased some hope quick release skewers, I noticed that taking the original skewers out they had a thin coating of white grease on the rod.

Any ideas which brand, grease type this may be?

Any ideas on the best grease for this type of application?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    none needed,

but if you must some "white grease" but keep it away from the cam.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Best grease in general would probably be the dura-ace grease. Its a bit roadie-like but its very good.

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/products.php?plid=m11b0s279p635
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Weldtite do a red grease that has been superb for my need over the life of the tube 5+ years, times coming for a new one. All I can tell you is that it comes in a green tube and marked Teflon cycle grease. You don't need a lot hence the long lifespan of the tube.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    One tube of Finish Line white grease has seen me good for 10 years.

When I temporarily misplaced it I got another tube of Weldtite, which seems fine too. That was a couple of quid off ebay.
  • redvee wrote:
    Weldtite do a red grease that has been superb for my need over the life of the tube 5+ years, times coming for a new one. All I can tell you is that it comes in a green tube and marked Teflon cycle grease. You don't need a lot hence the long lifespan of the tube.

This is the one that I use - excellent - a tube goes a long way and you can see exactly where you have put it! :wink: