Do you ever get fed up with the stares?

CyclepathToHell
CyclepathToHell Posts: 133
edited February 2008 in Tour & expedition
Mostly I take it all in my stride. It never ceases to amaze me just how much people seem to gawp you if you're on a fully loaded tourer (Heaven forbid if you've got a trailer). Usually it doesn't bother me but some days when I'm feeling maybe hot, alone, angry, anxious, tired, depressed ...or all of them..I get really sick of the stares, smiling and laughing.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this and felt the same annoyance at being treated like a circus attraction.

I tend to find I feel like this when times are at their hardest and I'm homesick.

Comments

• xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    We get that from time to time especially in rural areas and in Greece almost everywhere, as they are not used to people on bicycles period. Not that they're unfriendly to cyclist but they just don't like to ride bikes.
    It's more likely out of admiration than anything else but we do get the odd people that laugh at us while were climbing in a heavy downpour.
    We really don't let that bother us, everyone is ignorant of something and some people of touring cyclists.
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    I'll go with Xilios's description, and I'll add that behind the gawping there are probably thoughts like

"where are they going?"
    "where have they been?"
    "why are they on a bicycle?"
    "how far do they go every day?"
    "why are they wearing those clothes?"
    "if they have money for expensive bikes, why don't they take a taxi instead?"

in fact, all good questions. Unless dealing with some children in Morocco who think it's funny to throw stones, a friendly wave and a smile will go a long way. Don't glower back at people just because they are staring at the stranger in town doing something that looks totally alien to them.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • my experience is most people think its wonderful
  • chill888 wrote:
    my experience is most people think its wonderful

Indeed!
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • I wasn't disputing that people are almost always supportive and friendly; I just sometimes get a little tired of the stares and being treated like an eccentric, although, I suppose I am.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Try touring on a fully loaded recumbent!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • sean65
    sean65 Posts: 104
    I wasn't disputing that people are almost always supportive and friendly; I just sometimes get a little tired of the stares and being treated like an eccentric, although, I suppose I am.

I'm not a doctor, but if I were I'd prescribe you with a cycling trip (alone) through rural India. You get entire villages coming out to stare at you from a distances of about two feet.

It really is very odd but you learn to deal with it. A smile and a bit of banter with the kids always breaks the ice. In fact it's even more odd when you look at the cold aloofness of people in the UK these days.

I guess when you're tired and angry you have a heightened awareness and feel more intense emotions, but these people aren't to know that.

Maybe when you're feeling agitated, stop outside the village and sort yourself out. We all have days when dealing with humans is trickier than others.

And with a name like yours, I'm just guessing that your glass is always half empty anyway. :wink:

Why don't you try some touring with others. There are loads of great tours these days catering for everyone from the local tours to the international epics.

If you are feeling some of the emotions that you describe then maybe solo touring isn't for you.

The essence of touring and travel is to see new places and meet new people. Stretch the mind and keep it nicely oiled.

Keep with it. You sound like you're on the verge of breaking through a barrier and in to a great new world of fun and exploration.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Actually it is a very positive thing.....

I have always found that this breaks the ice with total strangers, who are then relaxed, chatty and friendly.

It also means that people see you as doing something, it may be different but it is human and the instinct is usually to support and help.

Some of my best overnight stays and lunches have been from unsolicited advice, and the number of oddities, churches and historical sites I would have missed is countless.

Yes - it can be a chore explaining for the 5th time that day why a recumbent trike is safe on the roads, but the benefits far outweigh the down side for me.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • sean65 wrote:
    And with a name like yours, I'm just guessing that your glass is always half empty anyway. :wink:
    Really, that seems a bit presumptuous.
    sean65 wrote:
    Why don't you try some touring with others. There are loads of great tours these days catering for everyone from the local tours to the international epics.

I've done it. I've done lots of tours. In the end I always crave the solitude and autonomy of solo touring
    sean65 wrote:
    If you are feeling some of the emotions that you describe then maybe solo touring isn't for you.

Again, that seems very presumptuous from a post about sometimes being fed up being stared at.

sean65 wrote:
    Keep with it. You sound like you're on the verge of breaking through a barrier and in to a great new world of fun and exploration.

I've no intention of giving it up. I've been all over the place on cycle tours.
  • sean65
    sean65 Posts: 104
    Oh well, just trying to offer some thoughts on your initial post.

You crave solitude but you feel lonely.

You admit to suffering from a lot of emotions that have a negative effect but don't seem to be able to work out that when you're feeling like that, it's easy to let small issue's become disproportionate.

You also admit to being eccentric and feel that I am 'very presumptuous' so I won't assume that you don't dress like a complete and utter 'fruitcake'

Why not post a picture of yourself in full touring mode and I may be able to offer more in depth feedback.

I'm glad to hear though that your paranoia isn't going to stop you.
  • sean65 wrote:

You admit to suffering from a lot of emotions that have a negative effect but don't seem to be able to work out that when you're feeling like that, it's easy to let small issue's become disproportionate.

It's not paranoia. If you cycle around Turkey and North Africa you will sometimes not want to be the centre of attention every single place you go.

I am a very experienced cycle tourist and most others I talk to understand exactly my point about going through highpoints and lowpoints. Of feeling elated and dejected. Of being tired and desperate for sleep. Of craving a cycle partner and then wanting to be alone.

I am perfectly capable of working out that things are magnified when you're in certain states.

Your post makes far too many assumptions based on a screen name.
  • sean65 wrote:

It's not paranoia. If you cycle around Turkey and North Africa you will sometimes not want to be the centre of attention every single place you go.

I am a very experienced cycle tourist and most others I talk to understand exactly my point about going through highpoints and lowpoints. Of feeling elated and dejected. Of being tired and desperate for sleep. Of craving a cycle partner and then wanting to be alone.

I am perfectly capable of working out that things are magnified when you're in certain states.

Your post makes far too many assumptions based on a screen name.

you can't legislate or stamp out patterns of behaviour because they are not in accord with your emotional state. If you are cycling through territory that sees very few touring cyclists then being the centre of attention and being stared at is the price you have to pay.

If you want to be ignored go to Holland or France where you'll not get a second glance - I tell a lie. I aroused quite a lot of curiosity in France and had a whale of a time telling folk where I'd been waht I was doing and what I hoped to accomplish on my summer tour. Most folk would have blended into the background of other cycle tourists but I do stand out a bit. I enjoyed to attention to be honest and it allowed me to practise my French more frequently than I'd anticipated.
  • I have to say its part of the experince of touring that i like :)

Once in Turkey we had climbed for about 3 hours to reach teh top of a mountain range from the sea.

This old guy was standing by the road waiting for a bus (I think) he saw us coming and his face filled with disbelief. He looked at me and said "Your come there?" pointing back down the hill.

I nodded, and smiled and he exclaimed "You Turkman!".

I felt quite proud to be considered an honorary turk :)
  • daviddd
    daviddd Posts: 637
    Special K wrote:
    I'll go with Xilios's description, and I'll add that behind the gawping there are probably thoughts like

"where are they going?"
    "where have they been?"
    "why are they on a bicycle?"
    "how far do they go every day?"
    "why are they wearing those clothes?"
    "if they have money for expensive bikes, why don't they take a taxi instead?"

in fact, all good questions. Unless dealing with some children in Morocco who think it's funny to throw stones, a friendly wave and a smile will go a long way. Don't glower back at people just because they are staring at the stranger in town doing something that looks totally alien to them.
    lol - I get that several times a day, every day! Drives you mad sometimes when you're feeling a bit focussed / anxious. On the whole though I enjoy the opportunites to talk with people. here in Oz people are very interested, ahghast even that anyone could cycle these distances in this heat etc. I have been invited back to peoples homes on a regular basis and have often taken them up on that. I've been treated very generously by these people. I do get the odd person shouting abuse from a car, but they have a problem and you have to allow for that.
    Oct 2007 to Sep 2008 - anticlockwise lap of Australia... http://www.davidddinoz.blogspot.com/
    French Alps Tour 2006: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=r ... =1914&v=5R
    3 month tour of NZ 2015... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/nz2014
  • ronstrutt
    ronstrutt Posts: 3,170
    Better that than the total lack of attention you get when arriving at LE from JOG!

Makes you want to grab people by the throat and yell at them "Do you know how f*****g far I've cycled, while you can hardly waddle in here from the car park!"
  • "Better that than the total lack of attention you get when arriving at LE from JOG! "

G'on , help me . 'LE' , 'JOG' ?? Airport terminals ?
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    'LE' = Land's End etc
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Le = Land's End
    JOG = John O'Groats

Sometimes the stares and attention are Ok , having a chat with people and being invited to places.
    Sometimes you just want to rest.
    I have met some fantastic people as I travel with my bike and trailer, but I have also been "bombarded" with questions by groups of people. In Warrnambul a group of about 10 or 12 people all at once.
    The questions have already been mentioned, where from, where to, how many kms, where do you sleep etc etc.

In OZ if I do not wish to chat I answer in Spanish or French, but most of the time I am grateful for the chance to talk to someone.

I make sure I ask them questions too, its a good chance to find out things, places to go etc.

george
  • daviddd
    daviddd Posts: 637
    I remember a big ride from Bourg d'Oisan's to the Col du Galibier - 43km and about 1800m climbing, and there was know one there to say "do you know what I've done?!!!" - then a couple stopped and were amazed so I felt better - sad eh? It's true though that we all enjoy recognition, but as george says it's good to ask these people about what they're doing too.
    Oct 2007 to Sep 2008 - anticlockwise lap of Australia... http://www.davidddinoz.blogspot.com/
    French Alps Tour 2006: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=r ... =1914&v=5R
    3 month tour of NZ 2015... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/nz2014
  • If you want stares then try a tandem with a Bob trailer, add a couple of first time tandemists with a bit of a dodgy starting technique, and you could all but sell tickets.

We attracted not only stares but cheers from busloads of tourists and locals alike. Such noteriety became useful when it was an immediate icebreaker - we were certainly never short of someone to chat to.

At the end of a long day when your starting to get tired and the cycling feels hard the attention is less welcome, but on balance I'd say it's more of a positive then not.
  • yer gran
    yer gran Posts: 186
    Topping a disproportionatly long climb (which the map was all secretive about), between Meknes and Fez, I was greeted by open-mouthed astonishment by at least 3 generations of a family. The matriarch of the family lead the ridicule, and literally threw herself on the ground whilst pointing, shouting and laughing.
    I topped the climb 200 metres later. Turned around. Went back and introduced myself. We all all had a great laugh over my London -Marrakech ride in the middle of winter; I got fed and watered, camped in the yard and gave a hand bringing in the olive harvest the next day (olives were in; millstone operation to extract oil was going on).
    Have faith!