Advice needed for a new commuting bike

Slips
Slips Posts: 3
edited February 2008 in Commuting chat
Hi,

I've been commuting in London for a couple of years now and do about 60-100 miles a week. I started off borrowing an old mountain bike off a mate to see if I liked cycling. I loved cycling but never got round to updating the ratty old mountain bike. Two years on I feel I've done enough miles to warrant getting a better bilke but I'm not sure where to turn.

My brother (who I convinced to start cycling as well) had a Genesis Flyer single speed for a while. I tried it for a week and whilst I loved speed and agility of the bike I found it a bit frail. It came to a head when the rear wheel buckled when I half way home - I'm not a fat biffa I promise. He also had quite a few punctures which aren't that much fun. He sold it a few months back since he felt it was a bit lightweight for the commute.

I've had a look on this site and the general consensus is that a good road bilke is the best ticket for a happy and fast commute. I'd previously been looking at hybrids and had been tempted by the Marin Lucas Valley. Another friend who referred this site mentioned the Charge Plug. This looks amazing but I missed gears last time I road a single speed and may want flexibility for hillier weekend riding.

I'd really appreciate some advice for a relatively tough wearing, fast, commuter that I could use at the weekend for some longer riders, less flat rides. I've got a budget of between £500-£800.

Thanks,

Slips
It's not the end of the world but you can see it!

Comments

• navt
    navt Posts: 374
    What about the Genesis Day series? I use the Day 01 personally and would not hesistate recommending it as an excellent commuter bike.
  • RC21
    RC21 Posts: 166
    I'm in the same boat as you - the best advice I was given was to go to a bile shop and try a couple out.

I wanted a dedicated road bike as I thought it would be good for commuting but I got told that if you want to carry any extra weight like panniers, etc it takes it's toll on the wheels. I also wanted something that I wouldn't mind going on pathways, having the option to jump up a curb if needed and maybe a little off roading - I'm currently looking at the SPECIALIZED Tricross Sport (~£700) which is a cross between a racer and mtb - should be great for commuting but equally quite good if you want to go off road - Have a look.

I'm not 100% that this is the right bike for me as I want still looking at what's available and there's a lot out there, but let me know what you're looking at and i'll update the thread if I find anything.

Thanks
    RC
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    RC21 wrote:
    I'm in the same boat as you - the best advice I was given was to go to a bile shop and try a couple out.

I wanted a dedicated road bike as I thought it would be good for commuting but I got told that if you want to carry any extra weight like panniers, etc it takes it's toll on the wheels. I also wanted something that I wouldn't mind going on pathways, having the option to jump up a curb if needed and maybe a little off roading - I'm currently looking at the SPECIALIZED Tricross Sport (~£700) which is a cross between a racer and mtb - should be great for commuting but equally quite good if you want to go off road - Have a look.

I'm not 100% that this is the right bike for me as I want still looking at what's available and there's a lot out there, but let me know what you're looking at and i'll update the thread if I find anything.

Thanks
    RC

Ive been running triple panniers on my road bike for over 2000 miles, no problems with the wheels yet. It will vary from bike to bike but my wheels are as true as the day I got them.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 27
    navt wrote:
    What about the Genesis Day series? I use the Day 01 personally and would not hesistate recommending it as an excellent commuter bike.

I have a Genesis Day 00 (bottom of the range) which I've been really happy with. Nice bikes, and no problem with panniers.
  • I'll second the votes for the Genesis series. Been riding my second hand Day00 for a couple of years now. Its fast and light yet feels fairly sturdy even in comparison to the old steel nags I used to flog up the Walworth Road.
  • I ride a Kona Dr Dew. Absolutely beautiful. That would be at the top end of your budget but there are lots in the range. Someone mentioned the Charge Plug. One of the guys at the LBS has one. Very, very nice.

If you want gears, Charge are just about to launch the Mixer. Go HERE.

I think wiggle are selling it for £699.

The Wiggle Page is HERE
    It's not the winning or even taking part. It's the arsing about that counts.
  • Slips
    Slips Posts: 3
    Hi,

Thanks for all the comments.

Interesting about the Tri-cross since I've just been to Evans and have looked at the 07 Pinnacle (£699). It looks like a solid bike and on slicks I would imagine it would be pretty quick. Hopefully it will also deal with pot holes of London's great roads - I'm going to give it a run on Monday night to see how it goes. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Genesis do look like great bikes as well. I'll be sure to test them out as well before making any decisions.

The new charge might also be worth waiting for....

decisions decisions.
    It's not the end of the world but you can see it!
  • don't forget about how often you'll use it, a bike over £400 being riden in the winter every day with all that water and salt on the roads would be a waste. oh and you wont discs realy, as rim wear will be a mager problem in the winter

“I kill monsters and zombies with infeasibly large plasma-based weaponry”
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s20p150

Id go for the vapour. Not amazingly racy, but it has 700c cross tyres which are a bit more comforting on mornings such as these. The canti brakes are really solid too and very light. Youve also got the rx2 second set of levers on top for when youre just cruising and tiagra and 105 kit throughout. Nice splash of carbon here and there. Very light even compared to a road bike.

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s6p524\
    if not, like someone else said theres the genesis day's The 02 is quite similar to the vapour but is flat bar, doesnt have the road levers and has a lovely set of 105 hollowtechs. The wheels are a bit more racey too.