tent for touring

zaynan
zaynan Posts: 180
edited January 2008 in Tour & expedition
I am after a tent to take touring this summer. My 'only' requirements are that it can fit me in (i'm 6' 2") has a decent size vestibule for storing gear (not necessarily my bike) is reliably waterproof and most importantly is light and a small a package as possible.

Anyone any recommendations please?
www.practicalcycles.com
The home of cargo bikes

Comments

• fill_d
    fill_d Posts: 153
    I've just bought a tent for touring after a fair bit of research- went for a Hilleberg Nallo2 GT. Its very high quality and a bit pricy but has a good vestibule and is very light for its size. Packed it is slightly longer than a pannier is deep but I've seperated the poles from the tent and it fits fine, otherwise I could strap it onto the rear rack.

The inner tent is linked to the outer so you can put it up in one go, or you can detach it and put the two up seperately- good if you need to take the tent down inthe rain as can put everything in panniers in the dry then stuff the flysheet last

Not tried it in bad weather yet but so far very happy
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Hilleberg for me too, tho' I believe Vango do similar model at much lower price - slight weight penalty probably only difference.
    Our Hilleberg has been brill - being a tunnel it needs a bit of care, extra guying etc in strong sidewinds and for two the 3 man model is comfier I suspect. Vestibule is perhaps a tiny bit on the small side but that is offset by the ability to detach teh innerand fold into teh back end of teh outer giving a big area to sit, wet & grubby, and even cook (with all the provisos about not setting fire to tents!!)
    We usually take a lightweight tarp with us too to extend covered area, cover bikes/bags etc as required.
    HAve fun!
  • raybo
    raybo Posts: 87
    You might check out this discussion at www.bikeforums.net. It is a question asked by someone 6'4" looking for a new tent.

Ray
  • How do you fancy something different................a Lavvu?

Whats a Lavvu you may ask, well its similar to a teepee but comes from Norway, its a 4 season tent and looks pretty natty.

The 3 - 4 man one weighs 4kg which isn't the lightest tent you can get but you get standing room, room for a bike/bikes and a decent sized living area as well.

Not a bad price either.

Have a look http://www.madbearoutdoors.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=tinde&cat=10
    Tarpaullynn
  • tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    If I were in the market for a new tent I would look at the Hilleberg Soulo. The link attached shows a model of 6' 3" in it.
    http://www.moontrail.com/hilleberg/soul ... lstup.html

However, I am perectly happy with my old Terra Nova Solar which replaced a very well used Macpac Minaret. That tent may be of interest because it has an offset inner so one side iof the sleeping area is 79" the other is 98". Not much of a vestibule but it is a tight 2 man tent so when on your own you can bring your bags inside (always my preference). My Minaret gave me many years of service and in the most foul thunderstorms day after day in the Alps. It is not the smalllest pack size(50x21) or lightest (2.5kg), but is a seriously good tent.