Racing License

laurensdad
laurensdad Posts: 46
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
I am a BCF member already but is a license essential for entering a 4th cat race and doing a few local TT's? Its my first season 'on the road' although I have raced mtb and 'cross in my younger years!

help!

Phil

Comments

• 1) You don't need a licence for TTs although you do need to be a member of a club affiliated to Cycling Time Trials - unless the event is a "come and try" event. This rule also applies to club events although some clubs will make you a temporary or day member.

2) You don't need a licence for road racing under BC rules as you can take out a day licence. There may be similar facilities for races under other organisations' rules.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    You can take out a day license but if you plan to do a few it is an expensive way to go.
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    I'm sure I read somewhere that a day licence costs £15 which means that if you intend to do more than 2 races you be better off buying a licence.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    In addition to the above replies - you can enter "Go Race" events (4th cats only) as a BC Bronze member (£12 or f.o.c. from a local club who are given them by BC to give away to new members), but there aren't many of these on the calendar.
  • Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    blackhands wrote:
    1) You don't need a licence for TTs although you do need to be a member of a club affiliated to Cycling Time Trials
    According to the club search facility on the CTT site there are no affiliated clubs in Scotland..?
    Does anyone know how it works north of the border?
  • www.surreyleague.co.uk have a 4th Cat on 17th February and repeated on 24th February at the Chertsey Qinetic MOD Site.

What is the level like suitable for somebody who hasn't raced before ??

If you are a club member Bronze is Free from British Cyclinh I beleive...
  • SteveNcp wrote:
    blackhands wrote:
    1) You don't need a licence for TTs although you do need to be a member of a club affiliated to Cycling Time Trials
    According to the club search facility on the CTT site there are no affiliated clubs in Scotland..?
    Does anyone know how it works north of the border?

TTs in Scotland are run under BC rules so I suppose you need a licence. Details of all races in Scotland can be found on the BC website under road racing (you can filter the list of events to show only those in Scotland).